PBW Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruprect

Reaction score
I have been using PBW to clean my stuff before use for my first couple of batches. I am mixing it with warm to hot water and using what I believe to be about the correct ratio of cleaner to water. After a few minutes, it seems there is a good bit of the PBW powder has settled to the bottom. Is this to be expected or am I doing something wrong?

I believe I am going to switch to OxyClean for everything except my aluminum brew pot. Should I expect the same excess powder settling at the bottom with OxyClean as well?

Thanks!

Quick question on PBW. Being new to this and hearing that you can never be to clean, can PBW just be drained from the kettle or keg before being filled or does it need to be rinsed first.

Thanks.

PBW is a cleaner only abeit a very good one - alway rinse like you would with any cleaner (soap). It is only a cleanser and should not be used for sanitizing.

Thanks cclloyd and ajf.

My local brew shop gave me sparkle brite to clean my bottles. I would assume this is what you refer to as a sanitizer. Is this true.

Thanks.

Sparkle brite is a chlorine based cleaner and sanitizer. So is household bleach. They are both based on chlorine.
The problems with chlorine based products for sanitizing are
1. They take a long tome to sanitize (20 - 30 minutes)
2. They need to be rinsed after sanitizing to remove all the chlorine, and some say that the act of rinsing runs the risk of reintroducing infections from the rinsing water.
Having said that, I (and many others) used bleach for many years without any problems.

The two most popular sanitizers are Star San and Iodophor. They are both no rinse, and only take a short time (2 minutes) to sanitize. I would recommend using one of those.

-a.

AJf,
Thanks alot for the clarification. The cornies that I sanitized before my last batch didn't create any problems for me, at least this time.

I will look into getting some Star San for future use.

Regards,
BB

AJf,
Thanks alot for the clarification. The cornies that I sanitized before my last batch didn't create any problems for me, at least this time.

I will look into getting some Star San for future use.

Regards,
BB

And avoid any chlorine-based sanitizers when sanitizing stainless steel (i.e. corny kegs), they don't play well together..

Back