patience?!? You want me to be PATIENT?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binkleybloom

Reaction score
So, I bottled my first brew 6 days ago.

Any chance there will be any carbonation after that short time frame? I'm dying to try one, but don't want to waste it.

And now I'm bracing for the "dude... it's going to be really flat" replies that I know are coming. But I can hope, can't I?

It will have some. I usually can't wait that long either haven't ever dumped myself.

Sent from my HTC first using Home Brew mobile app

Any chance there will be any carbonation after that short time frame? I'm dying to try one, but don't want to waste it.

And now I'm bracing for the "dude... it's going to be really flat" replies that I know are coming. But I can hope, can't I?

I always fill a clean, sanitized Pepsi Bottle on bottling day and keep it with my bottled beer. It is one of the ways I check to see how my bottled beer is carbonating.

Patience... Yes of course you can rush it to your taste buds but beer usually takes a few weeks to smooth out any wrinkles.:mug:

bosco

I read on here about the pepsi bottle trick right after I bottled. Will ABSOLUTELY be doing that next time. Brilliant idea, that.

Well, I'm going to go for it with the encouragement I've gotten here (that was encouragement, right? Yes, I'm sure it was.)

After all, how can I answer some newbie's questions in a couple years unless I make some of these mistakes myself, right? :rockin:

Do it, it teaches you discipline to just brew more and wait till its in its prime!

Just 1 green beer is one less in its prime!

Not a mistake. It's like having to wait for Christmas to open your presents. Seems like it's always that last sixer where you think "man that was good. I wish I had one of the flat ones that I drank back."

Nope cuz "dude... it's going to be really flat"

Cheers :mug:

what kind of brew is it and how much priming sugar was used. What temp are they stored at?

My pale ales with 4oz of corn sugar are sometimes primed enough after 1 week, as for the settling out thats another story 3 weeks or longer and it gets better

Yep, we all do it and we all have tried beers before they're ready. Try one now but swear that you won't freak out if it doesn't taste right (it won't) but it'll still be pretty darn good. Try another in three weeks and you'll see how much better it gets with a little more time.

EDIT: In the meantime, brew another batch to take your mind off the batch that's conditioning!

It's an IIPA (finished at about 9%) and I used 3.5oz of sugar (4 gallons bottled). Stored at about 67º.

It's pretty flat, and definitely will benefit from a bit of aging.

This is a good exercise for certain - definitely interesting to taste where it has gone on its journey. I think this is going to need a few weeks to mellow, but this was the "junk" bottle also - the very last one out of the bottling bucket, and had a fair bit of non-yeast sediment.

This beer was unbelievable right out of the fermenter - it's taken a bit of a left turn, but I'm hopeful that it returns back to where it was, or at least close.

photo.JPG

It'll get better, yep thats going to take atleast 3 weeks ipa's with all the hops need to settle out. If you could get it to 70Fthatwould help

I always fill a few 7 ounce bottles. Like the Coronitas. They can be sampled to heck on taste without "wasting " 12 ounces if it isn't yet ready.

We've all done it, especially early on. One thing I've learned over my 5+years of brewing is, in fact, patience. I learned long ago that 3 weeks in bottle gives a way better beer than one week or even 2 (in most cases.)
I also mostly bottle in bombers (hey, cutting my work in half is a good thing) but I almost always throw a couple of standard 12-oz bottles in there, mostly for that testing.
Again, I will wait 3 weeks after bottling to pop the first one, and have rarely had a problem, either under or over carbing.

The one thing that sucks about home brewing beer, is the wait. I strongly agree with Revvy, (I think) Every beer that you drink early, is 1 less beer that could have been great if you would have waited. When I was a new brewer, I just couldn't wait to check out my "great" home brewed beers. Well, they weren't great, but my wife was really nice about it anyway...
I have been brewing for around a year and a half, and I wouldn't call my beers stellar by any means. I have made a couple of beers that scored over 30 by a judge, and for me that was a big deal. I used to always try to brew to style, if, just in case, it was worth paying the entry fee to get it judged. I finally listened to what I had been told many times, "Brew beer you like to drink, not for a judge( ing ) to score." So, now I know what I like, and what I don't like, lagers won't be a beer I brew for a long time if ever, and EKG hops won't be in any more of my beers.
Sorry for the long post, my ADHD is in full swing...

Is ADHD required for home brewing? It certainly seems to help me, most of the time, except the day I murdered the yeast. I had probably forgotten to take my ritalin!

Back