PATIENCE! (Proper Ageing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
OK, this is for all of you Noobs (like Me)

I am not a patient man.

Some might say this new hobby is not a good one for me... because I am impatient.

2 of the brews I have done, that I didn't think much of at all (both were cloudy, bland and I considered throwing them out) turned out to be GREAT beers! Trouble is, that even though they weren't very nice, I drank them anyway because i am a tight arse when it comes to throwing out alcohol.

Did I mention that I was impatient?

OK, I have learned my lesson. Nothing gets consumed (other than a sample here or there) until it as least a month old. Bottles are easier to hide. If they are room temp, you tend to think more about drinking them.. plus you have to open them...even more time to think about leaving them alone. A KEG on the other hand.. swap the connections over in the fridge and taste it... hmmm, not bad! maybe another one or two glasses.... Pretty soon it's empty, and it has never come close to seeing it's potential (and neither do you!)

So, I am going to say this one more time to anyone that's willing to listen.

WAIT!!!

When you think it's ready to drink.. wait another 2 weeks before you even taste it again.

I completely agree...do as I say not as i do!!! I'm having a second sample of an english ale that I crash cooled and force carbed in the keg. Pretty good at 11 days out of the kettle. We will try...thanks for the reminder! If the last glass/bottle always seems to be the best you are drinking way to soon!
Mike

Yep, that's exactly what's happening with my kegs... I think "Man! this stuff just keeps getting better and better!" ...Hissssssssss MT Keg :(

For my money, patience is the single biggest improvement most brewers can make to their process.

(From someone who earlier this year kicked a keg of ordinary bitter exactly three weeks after brew date :eek: )

Nothing quite so melancholy as pulling that last pint, having it be the best of the lot, and realizing they could have ALL been like that.

The keg drains even quicker when you keep giving your neighbour a sample of your beers too!

Not complaining mind you... great beer. Now that I've started brewing again, in a month or so I can offer you some of my beer.

TheBrewPig said:
The keg drains even quicker when you keep giving your neighbour a sample of your beers too!

Not complaining mind you... great beer. Now that I've started brewing again, in a month or so I can offer you some of my beer.

Yeah, well that single bottle you brought over tonight while we were brewing the Arrogant Bastard makes up for a few litres I have handed over the fence :mug:

david_42 said:
The only practical solution is to increase the amount of brew in the queue.

Oh! Trust me, that's in the works! I have 3 X cornies, 1 X 50 litre Sanke ageing, plus a couple that are now ready to drink and almost empty. I also have a Bavarian Bock that's lagering, an English Bitter, and an Arrogant Bastard Clone all fermenting.

I have also thought of purchasing a keg from this brwery which is 3 blocks away from where I work.

http://www.zierholz.com.au/Home.html

The Hopmeister and Pils are VERY nice! I figure I can buy one of these 50 litre kegs and drink from it instead of my home brew. Should last me a month at least, and the others can age. Making new batches along the way of course:rockin:

Well, geez, why don't you just jump in with both feet! Quit just messin' around, for cryin' out loud!

(Say, what's air fare like, round trip, between Houston and Canberra?)

TL

david_42 said:
The only practical solution is to increase the amount of brew in the queue.

Tru dat. Brew in the queue is the only solution for the ADHD brewer. I have 8 cornies, but only two taps. All are full in sequential order. No problem with maturation. It's a wonderful life.

October was a rough month for me. I just checked my notes, and I brewed 7 batches that month, but I only had 1 drinkable. I'm reaping the benefits now, though:)

i have 11 batches right now in various stages. the only one i'm drinking is an old belgian ale. it's not that good, but it's very drinkable. i aged it since march ;)

we're drinking two tomorrow (kegs for party - cream ale and oatmeal stout)

here's what's left...i'm gonna be buying commercial beer for a bit. need to brew some more so that doesn't happen again :D

Hefeweizen - 2 weeks (just tried 1 bottle yesterday)
DFJMS - 1 month
Annex Ale - 1 month
SMaSH - 6 weeks
Blood Ale - 2 months
Belgian ale - 3 months
Apfelwein - 3 months
RIS - 08/08/08

as long as i keep making light beers in kegs, i should be doing just fine :mug:

Same here.
When I started years ago, the wait was MURDER. I was so impatient that the first kit I made (Irish Dry Stout) was bottled in a week, and I was drinking it a week later.

Eventually, once you get into the pipeline method above, you will not even think about it, as you will constantly have beer being ready every other week or so. Another thing that helps is to start with lighter, simpler beers, like browns, that are quick and easy. Then gradually work into more complex beers requiring more time.

nick

PeteOz77 said:
OK, this is for all of you Noobs (like Me)

I am not a patient man.

Some might say this new hobby is not a good one for me... because I am impatient.
I'd say its an excellent hobby for you because there is not much better to teach patience than homebrewing. Its not so much that you are forced to wait, but that you learn you need to wait to get best results.
I'm pretty patient so I usually have given most of my brews enough time. However I do like to sample the beers that are not ready yet, and I end up giving some of it out too early before its ready or I know its going to be good.
Craig

I am a noob too and must say that I too struggle with the patience aspect. Thanks for reminding me to wait.

One question that I have about aging is...what is the best temp to age your brew. It seems like some say room temp and others make it sound like it is in a fridge. Is one method better than another? I will be aging in kegs and I am currently brewing 'small' beers (if it matters).

I'm a very new noob and have my first batch in secondary as we speak...and it's killing me! Everytime I see it I want to bottle it. It's been in secondary for only a week (American Pale Ale). I'm going to give it another week and bottle. This will keep me in the 1-2-3 time frame. After reading everyone's posts I should get cracking on my next batch. I was thinking of an Irish Red or something close. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all the posters. You keep the anticipation high and the waiting bareable!

Keith

Pf Brew said:
I am a noob too and must say that I too struggle with the patience aspect. Thanks for reminding me to wait.

One question that I have about aging is...what is the best temp to age your brew. It seems like some say room temp and others make it sound like it is in a fridge. Is one method better than another? I will be aging in kegs and I am currently brewing 'small' beers (if it matters).

most of the aging is done at room temp. Then the last bit of clearing will happen when the bottles or kegs are cooled. The last bit of suspended yeast and other stuff will fall out when cold. that part only takes a couple days, so leave the beer at room temp for as long as you can stand. Be sure to put some CO2 in the keg and purge out the O2 to keep it from oxydizing. Once you chill it for a couple days, the first couple of pints will be cloudy, but after that it'll be clear. Still, beer does continue to improve in taste over time even when it's cold. I just blew out my keg of light lager that kept getting better and better every day. I'm sad and a little pissed about that right now:(

shafferpilot said:
most of the aging is done at room temp. Then the last bit of clearing will happen when the bottles or kegs are cooled. The last bit of suspended yeast and other stuff will fall out when cold. that part only takes a couple days, so leave the beer at room temp for as long as you can stand. Be sure to put some CO2 in the keg and purge out the O2 to keep it from oxydizing. Once you chill it for a couple days, the first couple of pints will be cloudy, but after that it'll be clear. Still, beer does continue to improve in taste over time even when it's cold. I just blew out my keg of light lager that kept getting better and better every day. I'm sad and a little pissed about that right now:(
Additionally, once all the above is done and you get it cold you also have the option of filtering or racking it to another keg while leaving much of the yeast in the original keg.

The above process works well when you are in a "tap where you racked" situation. I have to move my kegs from the keezer in the garage back into the house and this movement disturbs the settled yeast. If I rack to another keg beforehand the beer right out of the kegerator is more clear. ;)

TexLaw said:

About 36 hours give or take :)

If you ever get to go make the drive up to Tidbinbilla nature reserve though, its awesome. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2326/2081241878_21f4b0f580_b.jpg

On the original subject I definitely agree on how hard it is to wait. I brewed my first batch just a few weeks ago, kegged it and let it sit. Every day when I get home from work I walk by my two tap kegerator and cry a little inside. Come Super Bowl Sunday though it should be worth all the wait!

TexLaw said:
Well, geez, why don't you just jump in with both feet! Quit just messin' around, for cryin' out loud!

TL

Depends on the time of year, my Sister is flying out from Minnesota for the first time and they are paying like $1600 I think.

PeteOz77 said:
Yeah, well that single bottle you brought over tonight while we were brewing the Arrogant Bastard makes up for a few litres I have handed over the fence :mug:

Yeah, that one was 6 months old... good proof that beers get better with a little age!

:)

Back