Pasteurization of cider using Sous Vide Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmlarocca

Reaction score
Newbie here folks!

Question regarding pasteurization of carbonated bottles. I understand the sous vide method can be used to pasteurize your cider to stop fermentation when bottled. My question is - can you put the room temp bottles in the water bath PRIOR to heating it up and then heat water and bottles together to maybe minimize breaking potential and then when getting to temp (160 degF) leave for a period of say 15 mins to ensure pasteurization has taken place. The immersion circulator is attached a plastic container that is sufficient to hold several bottles at one time and can adequately cover the cider in the bottles.

I know you can add the bottles after you get up to temp but what about getting water to temp with carbonated bottles in the water bath at the same time. Does anyone have experience doing it this way and if so, what was the outcome? That is, was it done safely without "explosion" or cracked bottles?? Thanks!!

I have never used a sous vide as you describe.

I have done stovetop pasteurization, heating the water and then adding the bottles. I did have a few burst which was not fun. It turned out these where green soda bottles that I was reusing. I don’t think I had any beer bottles explode.

I would think the gradual warming would prevent shock to the bottles but ultimately it is the strength of the bottles that is probably the most important factor.

I would cover the sous vide container with a towel to limit any damage from exploding bottles, have eye and hand protection. I was using my brew kettle and the explosion from one bottle broke a second bottle and blew the lid off!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-with-pics.193295/
this is the sticky thread in the cider forum about pasteurization.

Newbie here folks!

Question regarding pasteurization of carbonated bottles. I understand the sous vide method can be used to pasteurize your cider to stop fermentation when bottled. My question is - can you put the room temp bottles in the water bath PRIOR to heating it up and then heat water and bottles together to maybe minimize breaking potential and then when getting to temp (160 degF) leave for a period of say 15 mins to ensure pasteurization has taken place. The immersion circulator is attached a plastic container that is sufficient to hold several bottles at one time and can adequately cover the cider in the bottles.

I know you can add the bottles after you get up to temp but what about getting water to temp with carbonated bottles in the water bath at the same time. Does anyone have experience doing it this way and if so, what was the outcome? That is, was it done safely without "explosion" or cracked bottles?? Thanks!!
Did you try this and if so what was your outcome with heating the bottles with the sous vide

Latest posts

Back