Pasteurisation Fail - help needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

symon

Reaction score
Apologies if this is covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it skim reading the 122 pages on stove top pasteurisation!

Long story short though, I've made a toffee apple cider using caramelised auger and back sweetened with honey. I've bottled it, let it lightly carb for 3-4 days and then used the stove top pasteurisation method. I've followed the instructions to the letter and a film of gunk has formed on the top of each bottle! It looks like someone has spat phlegm into each bottle! As such, can anyone tell me what I've done wrong? Will it disappear over time? And is it ruined?

Thanks in advance!

I really don't know much about making cider, but I think that you'll want to provide more info in case someone familiar with this reads your post. What process exactly did you follow? Can you provide a link to the instructions you followed? What can you tell us about your cider making process? Did you use any other ingredients that might be considered odd?

As for "will it disappear over time", how precious are those bottles and the time that the bottles will be sitting? Do you have other brews you must do, or can you afford to wait and see if the gunk settles out? Is space an issue?

"Is it ruined", if you can, give them a couple days and crack one open. What does your pallet tell you?

Thanks Kent! I'll try to give some extra information in hope you or others can help, and also include a picture...

I simply mixed caramelised sugar with apple juice and yeast and then left in a demijohn for around 2/3 weeks until it fermented dry. I then racked it into another demijohn and mixed with caramelised/burnt honey. The honey was shop bought standard honey and the sugar I initially caramelised was brewing sugar.

I then followed yoopers stove top pasteurisation thread that is stickied to the top of one of the forums.

Since making this post the 'gunk' has settled to the bottom and broken into smaller pieces (as seen in the picture below). The cider is looking lovely and clear apart from the sediment in the bottom. I don't need the bottles so I can let them sit for as long as necessary! I was just worried if I could drink it as the sediment will obviously mix again as you drink/pour it.

Any advice is much appreciated.

ThanksView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436341130.789515.jpg

I don't normally make cider (one batch a year at Halloween time), but I don't see anything that would concern me. Looks like a mixture of yeast and proteins (possibly from the honey). Just leave a tablespoon of liquid in the bottom of each bottle when you pour it.

I'd check a bottle and see if it's carbonating. This is to head off any potential bottle bombs. There is always the possibility of a pasteurization not working 100%.

So it may be the yeast is kicked in and fermenting, causing the krausen and subsequent settling, or it's just settled a bit after being heated and cooled.

If the cider was clear before you added the sugar and honey, perhaps you're seeing solids in the honey that have dropped out?

Back