Pasta roller grain mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyMon

Reaction score
I know there are a bunch of threads here about pasta rollers turned grain mills. One question I haven't seen answered on any of the is...if you tried this pasta roller grain mill project are you still happy with the results now looking back?

Basically, if you did this project can you give your opinion as to whether it was worth it for you?

I used one I made for about 6 months. Eventually I had to re rough the rollers almost every time I brewed. I also never really trusted the crush. My new grain mill will be here Monday.

I made one and it served me well for a handful of batches. As with the above poster, I had to re-abuse the rollers regularly, and the consistency of the crush sucked. It was also very slow. I got a Barley Crusher and never looked back. On a large grain bill, I could sometimes spend an hour crushing grain.

My advice to a person looking to get into their own grain crushing is to save the money on a pasta roller to put toward a serious grain mill. If you brew frequently and your time is worth something to you, you'll recoup your expense a hundred times over.

Pernox, thanks for the advice. I won't be out a penny to try this as I have one already that has been collecting dust for years.

I used a pasta mill for my first 13 all grain batches. It tore the husks a bit and the efficiency dropped slowly and steadily with each batch. Eventually I upgraded to a BC. Needless to say, I am much happier with the quality of the crush and consistent efficiencies. Plus sparging is a breeze. But the pasta mill got me into all grain and bulk grain purchases so I can't say it was without its place. Plus I made some really good beer with it and that is main goal.

Back