Passivate new Brew pot???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello what’s the best way to passivate your kettle? I have both types of Bar keepers friend the powder an the liquid vision. An also if using Bar keepers friend how long do you leave it in contact with the brew kettle before rinsing???

So, my understanding (and I'm not a chemist) is that you only need to passivate if your stainless equipment has excess iron embedded in the surface. This could happen due to machining (like cutting threads), scrubbing with steel wool, or something done wrong while welding - actually, welding with the wrong filler might be impossible to fix. To remove the excess surface iron, you can use 20% nitric acid or 5% citric acid. Before you put these chemicals to work, you need to degrease and clean your equipment. That's where the bar keepers friend (oxalic acid) would come in.
The actual passivation, formation of chromium oxide, then happens by itself, after the nitric or citric acid treatment.

Hello what’s the best way to passivate your kettle? I have both types of Bar keepers friend the powder an the liquid vision. An also if using Bar keepers friend how long do you leave it in contact with the brew kettle before rinsing???
Barkeeper's Friend does NOT passivate.

This article has all the info you need:
https://***************.com/wiki/Passivation
Cheers

Back