Parts help requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len_Andov

Reaction score
Greetings all.

I bought the 2.5g mini keg from Midwest. It uses the little cartridges like paintball to provide dispensing pressure.

I'd like to get a CO2 bottle soon so that I can force carb. I need help knowing which parts I will need in addition to the gas bottle.

So here's the link to what I bought. I'm happy with the liquid line and picnic tap. I need to know what parts between the keg and gas bottle.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/2-5-gallon-mini-draft-system-new-keg.html

Thanx in advance. Any additional info, experience, suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
-A-

It looks like it came with ball lock disconnects so all you need is a CO2 bottle and some gas line (1/4").

So the regulator is suppose to regulate how much pressure the incoming gas is pushing against the inside of the keg, right?

If there is more than one style regulator, are any adjustable to dial in the desired psi?

I've read that force carbonation is done at high pressure while dispensing is down at much lower pressure.

Thanx by te way. And can anyone contribute in teaching the things to know first time kegging? My wallet doesn't want me to learn the hard way :p

-A-

So the regulator is suppose to regulate how much pressure the incoming gas is pushing against the inside of the keg, right?

Yes.

If there is more than one style regulator, are any adjustable to dial in the desired psi?

There are a few styles, but they're basically the same. All are adjustable for pressure output. I would just go with a single body or dual body Taprite primary regulator (red knob style). Single body if you want all kegs to be carbonated the same, dual body if you think you might want different carb levels for different kegs (assuming you would have more than one keg on tap at a time).

I've read that force carbonation is done at high pressure while dispensing is down at much lower pressure.

Any time you are injecting CO2 to carbonate (as opposed to naturally carbonating with yeast and sugar), you are force carbing. Cranking the pressure up to carb faster would be "burst carbing," which would be a subset of force carbing. With a properly balanced system, you can carb and serve at the same pressure setting.

Thanx by te way. And can anyone contribute in teaching the things to know first time kegging? My wallet doesn't want me to learn the hard way :p

We can help you with anything you need to know. All you have to do is ask the questions.

Back