Partigyle stout - more dark grains for 2nd beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tegeberg

Reaction score
Hi guys (and girls)

I am brewing up an imperial stout soon, and I plan on making a lighter stout of the grains afterwards. My question is, will I generally need to add more dark/specialty grains to the 2nd mash in order for it to not turn "brown" or will my roasted barley be good enough for the 2 beer as well?

Imperial stout recipe can be found here, 15 liters, brewing a full 21 liter batch of lighter stout afterwards where I will probably add another kg of base malt:

http://hopville.com/recipe/1672745

So, should I add any specialty malt after collecting the wort for the imperial or should I be good?

Cheers,
Thomas

you can always add crystal/caramel or roasted barley (any specialty grain) on the 2nd part of the mash. this is called "capping"

mash in, mash out, take first runnings. add sparge water and capping grains and let sit for 15-20 minutes, then take rest of runnings

did that with a barley wine/ Irish red parti-gyle

Ok, any way of calculating how much should be added?

I used Beersmith2 and figured out the basic grainbill for a 7.5 gallon batch. then checked the OG and SRM of the first batch by changing it to 2.5 gallons. noted those and made a new recipe (2.5 gallon size) for that batch using the same grainbill and those numbers

changed the original recipe to 15 (CORRECTION... 10) gallons, checked OG & SRM and created another recipe (5 gallon) using those numbers. then added crystal/caramel and roasted to get my color right

also used the 2 new recipes to determine both hop schedules

used the original recipe for grain bill shopping list and the 2 new recipes for hops shopping list

Back