Partigyle an ale and a lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
Hey All, I have recently been thinking of having a partigyle brew day that would yield an ale and a lager out of the same grain bill. The only thing that I could think of would be a Belgian Triple and a Pilsner. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. Also, if I am able to get a lager for my small beer, I am limited because my temp controlled fridge can only fit a 3 gal better bottle fermentor. My other thought was to buy another 3 gal better bottle and have two lagers fermenting in the fridge at the same time. If anyone has any ideas let me know. Thanks for the input.

Black IIPA and schwarzbier
Tripel and Maibock
Any bock and APA/Amber

If I did a dopplebock and an amber, what would you recommend for a grain bill? The dopplebock should have pils, vienna, munich and should be decocted. The amber should be mostly American 2-row and crystal malts. How do you merge the two? I really like that idea but just looking for some direction. Could it just be vienna and munich, with maybe a little melanoidin malt for the dopplebock and then steep some crystal for the second runnings with the amber?

I think the merger should be relatively easy. two great examples of ambers with a bock like bill are Troeg's Nugget Nectar (Pils, Vienna, Munich)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/nugget-nectar-clone-158796/index9.html
and Hopback Amber (pils and munich)
http://***********/component/resour...1559-tr-eg-s-hopback-amber-ale-the-replicator

you could cap the amber with some crystal and/or biscuit if you want to differentiate them a bit more from the dopple.

So if I partigyle the dopplebock with 5.5 # Pilsner, 5.5 # Munich, 5.5 # Vienna, 0.25 # Melanoidin that would give me 3 gals of 1.102 OG wort. I could then yield 6 gals of 1.056 OG wort for an Amber with the addition of 0.5 # steeped Crystal 60. This could work! I think I just may do this after all! I'm thinking WLP 833 German Bock Lager for the dopple and WLP 001 California Ale for the amber. Hops would be Hallertauer for the dopple and Centential for the amber. Decent ideas or should I rework any of this?

Any other thoughts of partigyle ideas for making an ale and lager from one grain bill? Also, what temp should I mash at for the above dopplebock/amber?

It would be a lot easier to make a smaller lager, btw, since the lager is going to need a lot more yeast for a given gravity. That size doppelbock (or tripelbock, perhaps), even in a 3 gallon batch, would require a lot of yeast.

EDIT: I guess that OG is a tad under the upper range for the style.

When I partigyle I mash my base malt and steep the specialty malts for each batch separately. It opens up a lot of possibilities as to what beers you can make.

I like the triple/pilsner idea and I might just do that as my next brew. Thanks for the idea.:D

When I partigyle I mash my base malt and steep the specialty malts for each batch separately. It opens up a lot of possibilities as to what beers you can make.

I like the triple/pilsner idea and I might just do that as my next brew. Thanks for the idea.:D

I forgot to thank you for this bit of advice. Its very clever.

I'm doing a baltic porter and a mild this week. In three weeks I will be doing a doppelbock and an alt. I will be using the porter yeast cake for the doppelbock.

There you go, two for one.

1) won't those be some stressed yeasties because of the dopplebock's gravity?
2) wouldn't it be easier (from a yeast propogation standpoint) to brew a big ale and a small lager?

If you do it let us know how it turns out.

1) won't those be some stressed yeasties because of the dopplebock's gravity?
2) wouldn't it be easier (from a yeast propogation standpoint) to brew a big ale and a small lager?

If you do it let us know how it turns out.

1) Kinda, sorta. I'm intentionally brewing the porter on the low end of the spectrum (~6.8-7% ABV). That should give me plenty of yeast to start with and at worst they would be moderately stressed (I really want 5 gallons of doppelbock).
2) There are several reasons I'm doing this. I promised SWMBO a mild. I want a mild. I built a new mash tun and I wanted to do a parti-gyle test run before I do my doppelbock parti-gyle. This one will be 7.5 gallons and use 14 lbs of grain, but my second one will be 10 gallons and use 23 lbs of grain.

So, yes, it probably would be easier to brew a robust porter and black lager, but easier is not how I roll. Also, I use antiquated phrases like, "that's how I roll."

That saying isn't antiquated in Maine...as far as we're concerned you'd be downright hip!

Latest posts

Back