Partial/Steeping Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dward

Reaction score
I'm looking to make "hoppiness is an IPA" from the brewing classic styles book, but ran into an issue. I was unable to get Munich LME for my LHBS. So I'm going to do a partial mash with .75Lbs of Munich malt instead. Is there any reason that I couldn't mash the steeping grains with the Munich?

If you were doing all-grain, everything goes into the mash anyway - your base malts, plus crystal and any other specialty grains, so yea I would imagine that is fine.

Munich has very low diaststic power, meaning it has just enough enzymes to convert itself, but not non-diastatic malts or adjuncts. You'll need to combine an equal weight of 2-row or pale malt with the other steeping grains to convert them. Everything can go together in the same mini-mash.

Munich has very low diaststic power, meaning it has just enough enzymes to convert itself, but not non-diastatic malts or adjuncts. You'll need to combine an equal weight of 2-row or pale malt with the other steeping grains to convert them. Everything can go together in the same mini-mash.

It's not quite an equal weight. It's more like 1 lb 2-row for 2-3lbs specialty grain, generally. 2-row has a diastatic power of 120 and most specialty grains can be assumed to have none. There are a few that have enough to convert on their own, like Munich and Wheat.

Either way, if you can boil 3 gallons, you can mash up to 7 lbs before you really start to run low on sparge water.

Malt is much cheaper than extract, so mash as much as you can.

Thanks for the info. I was trying to to save myself a step. Since I'm going to be using 9.75 lbs. of light lme, I don't think I want to add more grain if it's not needed. So I think I'm just going to to steep the specialty grains separately. Thanks again.

Back