partial secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Before I bought my 6gal fermenter, I aquired a 3gal that I intended to start learning to brew with. When I went to buy ingredients, the lady there convinced me to buy the larger bucket, so I did. I still have the 3gal, with a spigot (?) valve in it and a lid, but there is no provision for an airlock.

I was wondering, when I get ready to remove my brew from the primary into bottles next weekend, would it be recomended/beneficial to move some into this smaller fermenter and let it sit longer? I have been reading about secondaries and thought this might be a good way to try it out. I do plan to put the rest straight into bottles though.

What do you think? Should I put 1/2 in the secondary and bottle the rest or just bottle my first effort?

If I do put 1/2 in the secondary, any tricks/tips/warnings?

Thanks in advance.

SSB

Sounds good for you to test if secondaries are right for you. You can compare the same brew side by side.

I susspect that you will find the one you put in the 3 gal carboy to be a much cleaner tasting and more visually apealing brew.

Scott,

WOW thanks for the quick reply!

Think I'll try it. Will it be ok with the fermenter having an airlock? Is there a certian procedure I need to follow when transferring the beer to the secondary? Anything I need to add? Can/should I prime the beer in the secondary then bottle it?

A lot of questions, I know, but that's how I learn.

SSB

singleshotbuff said:
Scott,

WOW thanks for the quick reply!

Think I'll try it. Will it be ok with the fermenter having an airlock? Is there a certian procedure I need to follow when transferring the beer to the secondary? Anything I need to add? Can/should I prime the beer in the secondary then bottle it?
SSB

Don't add anything when transfering to the secondary. You must siphon it over being careful to avoid any splashing or other source of oxygenation.

After 2 weeks in the secondary, then transfer into another container and mix in your priming sugar then bottle.

For calculating priming sugar additions, use this calculator: http://www.indata.com/collectionsoft/mybrewcollection/bp0.html

Your bucket without an airlock is not the best equipment for a secondary but it will work, just keep the lid on tight and vent it once a day. You will get sedement in your secondary so you will need to transfer to another container before mixing in your priming sugar. Be sure you add priming sugar the the first half you bottle.

If it's a plastic lid you can just drill a 1" hole in it and then use a #6.5 drilled rubber stopper and an airlock.

Back