Partial - pot is not big enough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Toy

Reaction score
Ugh.....brewing in a 5 gallon pot. Big Belgian. I am in the process of boiling my wort and I have close to 4.75 gallons in a 5 gallon pot. And I still have to add 7 pounds of LME & 3 pounds of candi sugar into the mix.

Can I remove a gallon or two of the wort into a secondary vessel, finish my boil and then add the wort back into the fermenter before pitching? Sure hope so because that's what I need to do :(

Probably the last partial in this pot. Getting a bigger vessel ASAP.

Ugh.....brewing in a 5 gallon pot. Big Belgian. I am in the process of boiling my wort and I have close to 4.75 gallons in a 5 gallon pot. And I still have to add 7 pounds of LME & 3 pounds of candi sugar into the mix.

Can I remove a gallon or two of the wort into a secondary vessel, finish my boil and then add the wort back into the fermenter before pitching? Sure hope so because that's what I need to do :(

Probably the last partial in this pot. Getting a bigger vessel ASAP.

Wait to add at flameout and see where you're at. At the end of a 60 minute boil you may have boiled off an extra .5 to 1 gallons and you'll have just enough room.... Maybe

I usually add all of my sugars and LME right after I hit the boil and before adding hops. Is that wrong?

I usually add all of my sugars and LME right after I hit the boil and before adding hops. Is that wrong?

Simple answer: Yes.

Its not really WRONG (there are actually very few wrong ways to do things) but its certainly not the most efficient way either. Others with better explanation skills than I have can elaborate, but when working with extracts and sugars(with exceptions) its usually better to add closer to the end of the boil. Or at least it was when I used extracts enough to care. The "facts" could have changed on me by now.

Adding all your extract early in the boil can lead to "caramelization." Which can give your beer that sweet extract twang off flavor and darken the color of your beer. Many suggest adding no more than 1/3 of your extract at the start of the boil. The rest can be added during the last 10 minutes (make sure you take your kettle off the burner to prevent scorching) or even better, just add the rest at flameout.

Latest posts

Back