Partial No Chill Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exf5003

Reaction score
I'm planning my first BIAB and have been trying to wrap my head around the method i'd like to use to get wort to proper pitching temp.

I have a 25' wort chiller that I plan on using to get the wort temp below 100 F, but by the time it takes to get below 100F i've already been 'chilling' for a good 10-15 minutes and have wasted countless gallons of water. After getting to a reasonable temperature, I will transfer over to primary bucket and cool the still too hot wort to pitching temp in my fermentation chamber.

Like many of you, I have kids so i plan on leaving it go overnight in primary bucket and pitch yeast the next day.
From what I've read, i'm not concerned about infection like botulism or dms effects if its sealed and I am pitching within 24 hrs.

So for my questions...

Is there anything I should be worried about with this method?

Since i am partially chilling, do I have to worry about the "effect of no-chill on hops additions"?

I know many no-chill people transfer to 'cubes' to let rest to reach proper temps, so will my wort b okay in a closed bucket to be able to pitch within 24 hrs?

Any input is welcomed and thanks in advance! :mug:

If your bucket is properly sanitized you should be fine. Don't forget to sanitize the lid too. Hop bittering stops at about 175 so you won't have to worry about that.

The big worry is bacterial infection but if you pitch your yeast within 24 hours it should be find because your yeast will soon take over and out compete any bacteria since the only bacteria is what was in the bucket and the air.

I do 11.5 gallon batches, after the boil is done I wait a 15 to 20 minutes then put the lid on my boil kettle

then use a box fan to blow air on the pot

in my garage in the winter it take 3 or 4 hours to get to 64 F to pitch yeast

has worked well for me, warmer months I use my 50 foot chiller and have the water I use drain back in my well

hate to waste water having a dug well

all the best

S_M

Another option is to get a submersible fountain pump (I got mine from Harbor Freight - I recommend something that puts out more than 200 GPH, I got the one that puts out like 90 GPH, but it takes longer to chill than I would like) and put it in a bucket of ice water and run that through your IC. Let the outlet hose just drain like usual, then once you get down to around 110-120F, put the outlet hose in your bucket of ice water so that it is recirculating.

For a 5 gallon batch, I can get it down to pitching temps within about 30 minutes and only wasting an additional +/- 10 gallons of water.

I am a believer that it is best to leave the wort in the kettle, rather than transferring warm wort to the fermenter to finish chilling. The less transferring of the wort the better IMO while it is at vulnerable temps.

As mentioned above, I have also started to use a small fan to blow a gentle breeze across the kettle surface while chilling, and it seems to make a very noticeable difference in chill times....sorry no hard numbers available.

Big fan of the no chill. Obviously OA temp is a huge factor in the time it takes to cool the wort.
I leave mine in the boil kettle with the lid on to cool. I also seal it up with plastic wrap. Don't have to worry about infection everything is way to hot.
Then just transfer to primary when the temp is good.
I like the idea of adding the fan. Especially since the temps are starting to warm up.

Thanks for the replies and ideas! I like the thought of just letting it go in the boil kettle overnight and not have to transfer. I'm in PA so winter time would b perfect for that, but what if I make a brew in the summer and the temp doesnt drop below 75F? Ideally i like to pitch low.

Thanks for the replies and ideas! I like the thought of just letting it go in the boil kettle overnight and not have to transfer. I'm in PA so winter time would b perfect for that, but what if I make a brew in the summer and the temp doesnt drop below 75F? Ideally i like to pitch low.

If your temperature doesn't drop enough just from the air you put some cold water and some ice into a tub and set the pot in that. It probably won't take much ice since your wort is already pretty cool and with the water contact on the boil kettle it will chill quickly too.

What I have been doing lately is to keep several 2 liter soda bottles filled with frozen water in my freezer.
Once the wort cools below say a hundred degrees, I sanitize and add a couple frozen bottles directly to the kettle of wort, I get to the low sixties in a couple hours this way.

I have done it with an ice bath as RM suggests above, but with larger 1/4 keg batches, I find this easier, aka no kettle lifting :)

put some cold water and some ice into a tub and set the pot in that.

sanitize and add a couple frozen bottles directly to the kettle of wort

Thank you both. Gotta love all the different ideas from this forum :rockin:

Btw Wilser, I'm loving the bags I grabbed from you. Will hands down recommend them to anyone interested in BIAB.

Cheers
:mug:

I believe that I have a 25 foot chiller as well. It doesn't take that long to chill. Maybe around 15-20 minutes. I found that by stirring the wort it cuts down on chill time significantly.

I hooked a pond pump to my chiller and put my boil kettle in a ice bath. Drop the pump in. Just add more water to the ice as the warm water is pumped through the IC into a different bucket. I'm at about 65* in less then 30 minutes

I have an IC and PC I use in the summer. I do have a swimming pool so I will use that water unless the pool is low then I fill it up while chilling the wort.
If I can't get it down to temp I'll put it in my ferm chamber or in a fridge til it's ready to pitch.
And if they are full I use the swamp bath to bring it down to temp.

When I partial chill; I like to get my wort sealed up in my fermentor & in the chamber as soon as possible. For Better Bottles that's <140. Works good for me.

Back