partial mash ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joedub

Reaction score
Ok so I have a Dry Stout recipe from my LHBS.

6.6# (2 cans) Dark Liquid Malt Extract (LME)

1# Crushed Pale Malt
0.5# Crushed Roasted Barley
1# Flaked Barley

1.5 oz. Northern Brewer

Now I know flaked barley should be mashed with a base malt. The recipe says just to steep all the grains until you reach 170F or 20 minutes. To get the full effect of the flaked barley could I put the barley in a muslin bag and put the pale malt (is this a base malt?) and roasted barley in another muslin bag and "mash" in 154F water for 30 minutes? if so how much water? I don't have any all grain equipment and I want to brew this on Monday in hopes of it being ready for St. Patrick's day.

Is one muslin bag too small to hold all the grains? If so mix all the grains in a bowl then add half to each of 2 bags. This way you will get pale malt in each bag. The pale malt is the base malt and has the enzymes needed to mash the other grains. If you can get a paint straining bag from home depot that would be better.
I would add water that is at 155 F and let it rest for 60 minutes.
Read the sticky post on partial mashes at https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

edit: use about 3 quarts of water at 155F. (1.5 quarts per pound of grain.)

I was reading that link and he said he heats up water in another pot and does a mash out. Is it ok if that second pot the grains sit in for 10 minutes is like a non stick stock pot?

Back