Partial mash vs extract kit questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a partial mash for my next brew by the BIAB method. I know that you can make some malts that aren't available in extract but I'm wondering if it's really worth it to do vs doing an extract?

Say for example I get a New Castle Brown Ale kit from Austin Brew supply that offers both an all-extract kit and a PM kit, will the PM kit come out a lot better (given both were brewed under optimal conditions)?

I wouldn't need any additional equipment so there wouldn't be any cost involved, just wondering if my brews will come out better.

Thx!

I think that's the general consensus, extract-->pm-->all grain. The last few I did were PM, and what I really think it provides is greater flexibility. Some base grains dont make it into a malt base or 'need' to be mashed, therefore you're able to do that.

Come out a LOT better? No.
Worth it? Without a friggin doubt. I think it comes out better. Plus gives you experience with managing the mash temp before failing at managing the mash temp can literally ruin your brew. It takes a little more time since you'll have to mash for an hour instead of steep for 30 minutes. I made some dang good beer with AHS kits on my stove before moving to AG.

Back