Partial mash smoked beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer dad

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try making a smoked beer, and originally was going to do an extract recipe with steeped smoked malt. But I think this might be a good opportunity to try out a partial mash.

Below is my rough plan for a PM Stjordal style beer, stealing ideas from Historical Brewing Techniques by Mr. Garshol (great book btw). It's not meant to be exact, just trying to get in the ballpark with the various flavors/ingredients and make a decent beer. Looking for some feedback particularly if you have done any of the brewing in the book.

5 gallons
4lb pilsner dme
4lb viking malt smoked(beechwood) malt
1oz Noble hops(saaz most likely) @boil
Juniper infusion
Voss from lallemand

Thanks!

I can't picture in my mind how smoke and juniper flavors will meld. I've never brewed (or drunk) a smoked beer myself, but I'm intrigued. Is juniper and smoke a common blend, or is that something you threw in for fun?

In certain elements of Norwegian farmhouse brewing it is seen, per the book referenced in OP. I've never had one personally, but I do like some smoke in beer occasionally so thought I'd give it a shot. Based upon my very elementary understanding this type of beer/malt can be more subtle than peat or Rauch, though I imagine there is a specturm of course.

A little off topic, but Sugar Creek Malt in Indiana sells an alderwood smoked Stjordal malt. I’ve not used it but their other smoked malts are fantastic. They sell and ship directly to home brewers, as small as 10 pound bags.

I've been wanting to try making a smoked beer, and originally was going to do an extract recipe with steeped smoked malt. But I think this might be a good opportunity to try out a partial mash.

Below is my rough plan for a PM Stjordal style beer, stealing ideas from Historical Brewing Techniques by Mr. Garshol (great book btw). It's not meant to be exact, just trying to get in the ballpark with the various flavors/ingredients and make a decent beer. Looking for some feedback particularly if you have done any of the brewing in the book.

5 gallons
4lb pilsner dme
4lb viking malt smoked(beechwood) malt
1oz Noble hops(saaz most likely) @boil
Juniper infusion
Voss from lallemand

Thanks!
I have brewed a Swedish Gotlandsdriku beer that is similar to your recipe. Are you using Juniper branches or berries, I used both. Sourcing the branches is difficult in the south. Had to substitute eastern red cedar. I added the branches andin the mash infusion water and berries to the end of the boil. It's a complex and interesting taste and the juniper and hops help balance the smoked malt. It does need some aging and is better after a month in the keg. Seems to change over time. I used Swedish bread yeast, but definitely would try a Kviek on this style. There is a company in Colorado that sells Juniper branches and Spruce branches called SpruceonTap. Go for it. Should be interesting beer.

@dibbs I plan on using eastern red cedar as well since it's what grows in my area, or at least then only species I've identified so far. Probably will try to go with minimal berries if any.

Thanks for your feedback! That is just the type of stuff I was looking for!

This motivated me to order the alderwood smoked Stjordal malt from SAINNHUS and also some Gottlandsdrika malt. @Kickass 4 lbs is what I used and initially it is pretty smokey, but mellows out some after some time. It should be a very unique beer. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back