Partial Mash GFree Oat Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincypilot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning on brewing a partial mash Oat Stout using Thomas Fawcett malted oats(not certified Gfree), I toasted 1lb of the oats in the oven a few weeks back using the same idea as Igliashon used in his "no-nonsense stout", except I used the malted oats instead of the Gfree instant oats.

I plan to use the BIAB method to mash the oats using a step mash schedule outilned in this paper on all oat brewing http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.2011.tb00487.x/pdf. From this paper their optimized mash schedule for oats, with rests 20 min at 113°F, 30 min at 144°F, 30 min at 162°F, and mash out at 172°F. This is my first attempt at any real mashing, as I have just done some steeping if Gluten free grains.
I hope this yield me some fermentable sugar and some flavor and interest.

I plan to use briess brown rice syrup to make up the OG, and 1lb each of D-180, and D-90, for color, flavor and fermentables.

Here is my recipe:
Fermentables:
Briess Brown Rice Syrup 45HM 2.0 Lb Boil
D-180 1.0Lb Boil
D-90 1.0Lb Boil
Oat Malt 2.0LB Mashed as above

Hops:
Columbus .3oz 60min
Columbus .25oz 20min

Yeast:
Safale S-04

OG: 1.050
FG: 1.013
IBU: 32

Time will tell. Let me know what you think.
Stefan

I was considering trading out a pound of 180 for 90 on my next batch of NNS. I have a feeling you'll beat me to it. I still have a lager planned first. I haven't had the time to detour to LHBS for any ingredients. And I am almost out of the NNS too.

Personally, due to the wife having celiac, I will be sticking with the bob's red mill gf oats.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back