Partial boil 1/3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerloict

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to know if I can use 5 gallon recipe and make partial boil of 1.5 gallon. After fill with water to 5 gallons.

Thank

That can be pushing it, but it's not impossible.
You could boil twice if need be, and add them together, before topping up.

What's your recipe?

Are you saying you can only boil 1.5 gallons? How big is that pot, 2 gallons?

If the pot is 2 gallons that leaves you with 2 quarts of headspace. That's kinda tight, so you got to watch like a hawk for boilovers. Have a spray bottle filled with water handy, to spray the surface when it starts to foam or boil over. Also reduce the heat source as quickly as you can of course. Then bring it back to a simmer. A simmer (surface rippling) is all you need, not a wild rolling boil, splattering wort all over the place.

I'd only add an amount of extract in the beginning of the boil that's proportional to your boil volume. So if you only boil 1.5 gallons, add only 1/4 to a 1/3 of the extract. Use the liquid extract first. Bring back to a boil and add your 60' hops.
Boil for 60' and keep topping up (use boiling water if you can) as you're boiling off (evaporating) to keep roughly 1.5 gallons in your pot all the time.

When the 60' are up turn off the heat, then add and dissolve the rest of the extracts. Make sure to keep stirring well as you add them so they all dissolve and don't lie on the bottom. After adding the remainder of the extracts check the temp. If it's 150F or above put a lid on it and let sit for 10-15 minutes to pasteurize. If it dropped below 150F, slowly heat it back up to 150F, under constant stirring so it doesn't stick and scorch to the bottom. Then put a id on it and let sit for 10-15 minutes at 150F.

Then chill and transfer to your fermenter containing 2-3 gallons of water, and top off to the 5 gallon mark.

Note on Chlorine in brewing water:
If the water you use for brewing is municipal water, it likely contains Chlorine or Chloramines. They should be removed before brewing with it by treating it with Campden. Stir 1/4 crushed Campden tablet (or 1/16 tsp of K-Meta powder) into 5 gallons of water to dissolve it. It works almost immediately, done!

Im a really beginner.... I would like to buy a larger keetle, but do a 5 gallon keetle can boil on an oven cause its a much larger
Can you get access to a copy of How to Brew, 4e?

Chapter 1 walks through a "stove top" boil process with a five gallon recipe using a five gallon kettle. Chapter 1 is about 20 pages long, so there are a lot of details that don't make it into individual topics in home brewing forums.

Perhaps one could think of it (chapter 1) as a well curated, well edited, pinned topic.

Last edited:
Maybe you can boil with a 5 gallon kettle. Some stoves can, some can't. Some can boil 2 gallons, some can boil 5 gallons or more. You'd have to try it with your own stove to know for sure.
Yup, it really depends on the stove. The metal surface of the kettle radiates heat, the larger, the more heat loss. The wider the kettle the more surface area from which the wort evaporates, also increasing heat loss. Leaving the lid partially on can help reduce that heat loss.

Most extract doesn't need to be boiled per se.
For most beers you can get enough bittering from small volume boils, topped up in the fermenter. Use a recipe formulator to estimate IBUs generated in the small volume, then divide by the dilution factor for the actual IBUs of the total volume.

Hi,

I would like to know if I can use 5 gallon recipe and make partial boil of 1.5 gallon. After fill with water to 5 gallons.

Thank
I regularly brew two gallon batches by boiling two quarts with the specialty grain water or a quarter of the dme. Then after mixing in the (rest of the) extract I add six quarts of ice cold water and pitch the yeast.

Back