Parti Time!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrowsNest

Reaction score
This is the 5.5 gal recipe for a barely wine that I've arrived at. It will be a 120 minute boil with one hop addition at 60 min and honey added at high krausen:

Original Gravity: 1.109
Terminal Gravity: 1.027
Alcohol: 10.88%
Bitterness: 102.1
Mash temp: 151F

Ingredients:
9.0 lb Maris Otter Malt
9.0 lb American 2-row
4.0 lb Caramel Malt 60L
2.0 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 m
2.0 ea White Labs WLP026 Premium Bitter Ale
1.0 lb Honey

I was planning on making a small beer out of the 2nd runnings, but I wanted some input on another idea. I've read that approximately half of the sugars are in the first 1/3 of your runnings (I'm sure this varies widely, but let's assume for now), and the other half is in the other 2/3.

I'd like to take that 2/3 of lower gravity wort, boil it down to a higher gravity like 1.080, then add it back to my fermentation vessel at high krausen.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Why not do it all at once - in other words, why not just sparge, collect wort, than boil until you've got the volume you want? How much water are you mashing and sparging with? Why start fermentation before you've collected all your wort?

I think what the OP's getting at is doing it sort of like a staggered sugar addition to put less stress on the yeast. I say "why not"? But I personally love doing parti-gyles for the pupose of coming out with 2 beers. Also, I don't have any clue if there's truth or not to the whole sugar concentration thing you're talking about. If you have a refractometer you could test that while lautering your second runnings.

I know its an old thread but im curious about how that barleywine went, I'm about to make an english BW with the same yeast strain and I cant find too much information about it.

Back