Parti-Gyle volume question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
So i'm looking to do a parti-gyle starting with an imperial stout and finishing with maybe an English Brown Ale.

So my question is, if i start with enough grain to make 5 gallons of an imperial stout, can I still make 5 gallons of brown ale from the second runnings:mug:?

Or do i need to start with enough grain to make 10 gallons of imperial stout and then i'll get a brown ale from the second runnings?

thanks! :mug:

Um, if you have 2x the grain you can make 2 imperial stouts...no just kidding you just need probably halfway in between. just add up all your OG times gallons to get total points, such as if your imperial stout is like 1.1 then ideally you have 5 gallons of 1.1 so that is 500 points, and say your next target beer is a brown ale which is like 1.050 and 5 gallons, so 250 points, total is 750 points.

Also, keep in mind your efficiency will suck so put that down to like 55% or so.

And keep in mind that you will be adding roasted grains to your stout directly to the mash, unless you are steeping those then the color will bleed over to the second runnings. To make a brown ale you may want to steep your roasted grains in the boil pot for the stout and also add some crystal malt to the brown ale to raise the FG and add some body to your second beer. Typically you will mash a little low on the stout because you want it to finish somewhat low and attenuation will affect that because it is such a huge beer. But when you do the same with the lower gravity beer it will finish much drier, which is why you should add some crystal malt to keep it more on the sweet side.

Hope this helps!:ban:

I like the Braukaiser partigyle simulator to figure out my gravities/volumes, and it usually comes out pretty close. Granted, I'm doing it a little differently than you (3gal followed by 5gal), but the ideas are the same, and the simulator allows for extra grain additions, multiple sparges, etc. You'll still have to figure out how its going to work on your system, but I found this at least got me into the ball park as far as values were concerned.

Iv'e done a few Parti Gyles. When i make a recipe with Beersmith i set the eff at 55% to guess the first runnings.
I dont Batch Sparge. i just do a Mash Out. I make sure to add enough Mash Out to = my Boil volume.
I then add my grain(and water)for my second beer and do a second mash (if necessary). I then sparge with enough water to reach my next target boil volume.
My last parti gyle was a Belgian Pale ale and a Saison. My BPA scored a 38 and my Saison scored a 22 at an AHA Beer Comp.

First runnings always make the superior beer , lol.

I've done this once with the Kate the Great clone, the second beer is a smoke brown ale using Cherrywood smoke malt.. What I did was save a gallon of my first runnings for the second beer, then sparge until I reach my boil volume for my RIS. Once I had all of my Wort for my RIS and had that boiling. I drained an additional gallon ontop of the one gallon I set aside for the 2nd beer and steeped two pounds of Cherrywood smoke malt in the two gallons for 30 min. to get the smoke in the 2nd beer. After steeping I then sparged until I had my boil volume of my 2nd beer.

My efficiency for the RIS was only about 55% so I added 3 lbs of DME to get my OG to where it should be. I also added 3 lbs of DME to the 2nd beer to make it a little bigger. In the end I had 5 gallons of RIS at 1.100 and 5 gallons of smoked beer at 1.065. I haven't tried either beer yet, the RIS is still in Primary and the Smoked beer is bottle conditioning still.

Latest posts

Back