Parti Gyle Assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthBay

Reaction score
Just wondering if this sounds reasonable or if anyone has any tried this.

I'm thinking of basically taking a parti-gyle style setup and making two beers. Except, on my "to-brew" list, there arent any typical pairings using the same/similar grain profile. So, here's what i was thinking:

I'd start with an Imperial IPA recipe, and mash it, then drain the first runnings to make the IIPA. Next, i'd like to use the sparged second runnings to make a Rye Pale Ale. But, since I dont want the IIPA to include rye, i'd have to add in a few pounds of rye malt and flaked rye, and essentially re-mash it so they convert.

I dont typically do a mash out anyways, and usually just mash in the boil kettle on my stove top before dumping it into the lauter tun.

Has anyone tried something similar? Any advice on how to calculate OG (and hence the grist bill) for the IIPA in beersmith as a no-sparge recipe? Any thoughts on how I could calculate the OG/grains for the Rye-PA?

---

Lets assume the grain bill on the IIPA would normally be:

12 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb Munich 10L
3/4 lb Caramel 40L
3/4 lb Cara-Pils
1/4 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Corn Sugar (late boil addition)

This would normally net me 1.080 or so, and usually I manage to get a bit more out of it. But, thats with batch sparging. Assuming no sparge, I'm guessing that i'd need to up the base malt to 14lbs, the munich to 2, the caramel and cara-pils to 1 each, and bump the chocolate to 1/2lb?

i'm completely at a loss for the second runnings though! i'd like to add in at least 1lb each of rye malt and flaked rye, preferably about 2lbs of each, as i find that 4lbs of rye in a 1.050-1.060 beer is about to my liking.

help!

Really? Nothing?

So, after some research I found this:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/files/nbsparge.html#no-sparge

I'm not one for doing that much math though. Per How to Brew, the short calculations on no-sparge brewing put it about 65% expected efficiency, which is 10-ish percent below what I typically get. For anyone thats Interested, I'll just scale the recipe up by 10% to make up the difference, for the IIPA.

As for the second runnings, I'm anticipating that I'd basically get that 10% back in the sparge process. So, I should be able to calculate that, and how much Rye i'd need to add to hit the OG I want.

If nothing else, it's a starting point that I can use!

Back