Pantry question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebob

Reaction score
Finally broke down and ordered a grain mill (cereal killer):ban: now time to begin fill up the pantry, what do you guys keep in there, or what would you recommand to keep in there, i brew mostly ale and belgium witbier, i like to have at least one strong beer in the arsenal for after dinner watching a movie.... Give me some recommendation please and thx in advance.

Finally broke down and ordered a grain mill (cereal killer):ban: now time to begin fill up the pantry, what do you guys keep in there, or what would you recommand to keep in there, i brew mostly ale and belgium witbier, i like to have at least one strong beer in the arsenal for after dinner watching a movie.... Give me some recommendation please and thx in advance.

Okay, so without more specifics, like what kind of ale, and what kind of strong beer, it's hard to make recommendations....

...but, for the Witbier, you might want to buy some Belgian Pilsner malt in bulk (55 pound bags usually) to save a ton of money.

Then, depending on the other kinds of ales, work on getting the other base malts: american pale 2-row for American ales, British pale 2-row like Maris Otter for british beers, German pilsner malt for german lagers, alts, kolsch, etc, and Munich malt as both a base malt and an adjunct malt in many beers. Currently I buy Great Western Premium 2-row for my domestic ales, Bestmalz Pilsner and Munich for german beers and other beers, and Thomas Fawcett & Sons Maris Otter pale malt for my british beers. I also keep a supply of acidulated malt for adjusting my mash pH, and I go through enough 120L crystal that I keep a few pounds on hand. Everything else I buy as needed.

Happy brewing!

What you put in the pantry depends a lot on how much beer you make in a year and what recipes you expect to make. I have a bag of 2 row and a fair quantity of C 60 because a lot of my beers that I like call for it. I have a much lesser quantity of roasted barley because a batch may only need 2 to 4 ounces so unless I make a lot of stouts, buying a big quantity would be a waste.

Back