American Pale Ale Palouse Prairie Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMadKing

Western Yankee Southerner and Brew Science Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14day at 68F
Tasting Notes
The columbus dry hop adds a unique character that has received only compliments
Recipe Name: Palouse Prairie Pale Ale
Type: All Grain
Style: American Pale Ale

Notes: My basic house pale ale. The hops are different from most APA's which sets this one apart a bit. The grain bill is somewhat borrowed from Yooper's house pale, but I made it a bit heavier, and the hop schedule is original.

Batch Size: 5.10 Gallons
Boil Length: 60 Minutes
OG: 1.056
FG: 1.011
ABV: 5.9%
IBU: 48
SRM: 8

Fermentables
------------
6.50lb 2-Row (US) - Mash
1.50lb Vienna (US) - Mash
1.00lb Munich - Bonlander 10L (US) - Mash
0.50lb Caramel/Crystal 60L (US) - Mash
0.50lb Caramel/Crystal 20L (US) - Mash
0.50lb Carapils (US) - Mash

Hops
----
1.00oz Cascade - Boil - 60 Minute(s) (23.97 IBU)
1.00oz Centennial - Boil - 30 Minute(s) (23.95 IBU)
0.50oz Columbus - Dry Hop - 7 Day(s) (0.00 IBU)
1.00oz Cascade - Dry Hop - 7 Day(s) (0.00 IBU)

Yeast
-----
Safale US-05 Dry Beer Yeast

Mash Schedule
-------------
152F for 60 Minutes

Fermentation Schedule
---------------------
68F for 14 Day(s)

You recipe looks good, I do a similar pale ale with cascade, columbus and chinook. I like columbus and cascade for dry hopping, comes out sort of fruity.

I was surprised you are from Georgia, expecting to see the someone from the northwest with that name.

You recipe looks good, I do a similar pale ale with cascade, columbus and chinook. I like columbus and cascade for dry hopping, comes out sort of fruity.

I was surprised you are from Georgia, expecting to see the someone from the northwest with that name.

I just moved to Georgia, I was born and raised in Washington though.

I really like the columbus for dry hopping, but I've gotten a lot of flak from people who haven't tried it since it's traditionally a bittering hop and it is certainly a strongly flavored sharper hop.

I go by how hops smell when first thrown into the kettle, if they smell good then they have a reasonable chance of working good toward the end of the boil or for dry hopping. I also use the hop character wheel in brewing classic styles to select hops with different base character to add complexity and care less of the traditional use.

I figure you either used to live there or went to school there, but the name also has a nice flow. I was born in washington too on the wet side but my family is from the east side just south of there. When I moved from there I was intending to move back in a couple years, 30 years later I am still a couple years from moving back.

I go by how hops smell when first thrown into the kettle, if they smell good then they have a reasonable chance of working good toward the end of the boil or for dry hopping. I also use the hop character wheel in brewing classic styles to select hops with different base character to add complexity and care less of the traditional use.

I figure you either used to live there or went to school there, but the name also has a nice flow. I was born in washington too on the wet side but my family is from the east side just south of there. When I moved from there I was intending to move back in a couple years, 30 years later I am still a couple years from moving back.

I grew up north of Spokane, and went to school in Pullman and worked there for 10 years before accepting a new job in Georgia. I'll probably end up back in the northwest someday, but that will be when I open my brewery.

I definitely go by smell for hops as well. Columbus is one that I equate to an espresso roasted coffee bean, intense but rich and I found that as an accent, it adds a nice depth of bitterness that the otherwise grassy and floral hops just don't capture. :mug:

This is the updated recipe. It took a Silver medal in the Suwanee Homebrew Festival with a score of 43, and I'm pretty happy with that!

The only thing I might tweak, is to back down the OG a little bit (1.058 or so) and move the centennial to whirlpool.

Recipe Name: Palouse Prairie Pale Ale
Type: All Grain
Style: American Pale Ale

Batch Size: 5.10 Gallons
Boil Length: 60 Minutes
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.015
ABV: 6.3%
IBU: 39
SRM: 9.3

Fermentables
------------
5.0lb Vienna (3.5L) (US) - Mash
4.0lb 2 Row (US) - Mash
1.5lb Munich 9L (US) - Mash
0.50lb Caramel/Crystal 60L (US) - Mash
0.50lb Caramel/Crystal 20L (US) - Mash

Hops
----
0.5 oz Columbus - Boil - First Wort - 60 Minutes (28.7 IBU)
1.00oz Centennial - Boil - 5 Minute(s) (6.5 IBU)
1.00 oz Cascade - Boil - 5 Minutes (3.3 IBU)
1.00oz Cascade - Whirlpool at 170F - 20 Minute(s) (3.3 IBU)
0.50oz Columbus - Dry Hop - 7 Day(s) (0.00 IBU)
1.00oz Cascade - Dry Hop - 7 Day(s) (0.00 IBU)

Yeast
-----
Safale US-05 Dry Beer Yeast

Mash Schedule
-------------
154F for 60 Minutes

Fermentation Schedule
---------------------
68F for 14 Day(s)

Back