Pale wheat ale with citrus hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brefus

Reaction score
Im going to make a hoppy pale wheat ale since spring is in full swing in florida. Im going to base it on Southern Tiers Hopsun but im not the biggest fan of columbus hops and I want to get a lot of grapefruit orange and lemon hop character. Im also going to add some sweet and bitter orange peel. But I was just curious ad to a recommendation on the hop profile?

7 lbs. 2-row Pils
3 lbs. Wheat Malt
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 20°L

and a cali ale yeast.

ST uses Centennial in HopSun. I swiped this image from the old version of their website:

Hop_Sun_Detail.gif

P.S. I use Columbus in my HopSun inspired wheat beer

I just bottled a rye beer hopped only with citra, and it has a fantastic citrus flavor. It complements the ester flavors produced by wlp300 hefe yeast. I used 4 oz total split into 10 and 5 minute additions.

awesome I may actually use centennial and citra in some combination. Im sure its gonna get a healthy dose of dry hopping at any rate.

ST uses Centennial in HopSun. I swiped this image from the old version of their website:

Hop_Sun_Detail.gif

P.S. I use Columbus in my HopSun inspired wheat beer

Do you have any more of these you would be willing to share? Their new site doesn't offer nearly as much detail.

Hop sun is a great beer, as is the uber sun. Also in this vein is 3 floods gumballhead. That beer uses Amarillo exclusively.

I think your idea of centennial + citra sounds great.

Do you have any more of these you would be willing to share? Their new site doesn't offer nearly as much detail.

No unfortunately that is the only one I saved. It was hard for me to find HopSun in my area for awhile, so I wanted to come up with a clone. I never actually did that, but I am a fan of my "interpretation" of it.

It is a really useful image though, isn't it?

:mug:

Brefus, how did your beer turn out? Doing one tomorrow but I need to decide how to hop it. I have centennial, citra, columbus, and cascade.

Back