Pale Chocolate needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drakerebel

Reaction score
I have a question regarding a recipe i found in another thread. I have everything except the pale choc. Is this for color only or what could i add via the supermarket that could somewhat replace...only if needed. If it's a aesthetic thing than i'm fine omitting it but don't want to sacrifice flavor/feel. And i don't have the chance to get a hold of any grains due to shipping times and location to lbhs...so it's not an option to actually get the ingredient.

Thanks in advance!

10 lbs pale two row
1 lb quick oats
10.oz pale chocolate
8. oz special B
8. oz crystal 60

Mash for 60 @ 154

1/2 oz Chinook FWH
1.0 oz Cascade @15
1.0 oz Chinook @5
1.5 oz Chinook @ flameout with a 15-20 minute whirlpool.

Shoot for 40 IBU's and 5.4% abv

Ferment with US-05, 001, 1056 until done. Kind of like Arrogant bastard meets oatmeal brown.

10 oz is going to contribute some flavor, so I'd say it's not in the recipe just for the sake of color. If you have some extra base malt lying around, you can roast your own pale chocolate. It won't be exactly the same as what is commercially available, but it should get you in the ballpark.

http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/08/home-roasting-your-malts/

Here is the link for pale chocolate at Austin Homebrew, which will give you an idea of the color you'd be shooting for if you do decide to try roasting your own...

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_71_112&products_id=11331

At 10 oz, the pale chocolate is not just for color, but will give you a decent level of roast and toast flavors. (It will also darken the color quite a bit.) Do you have any other dark grains on hand?

Another option, if you're willing to wait a little and are feeling adventurous, is to make some yourself. I don't know offhand what pale chocolate would require, but this site suggests roasting 2-row for about 50 minutes at 400F to get brown malt, which is about the color of pale chocolate: http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/08/home-roasting-your-malts/ But you will need to let it sit for a week or two in a paper bag to permit the harshest compounds created by roasting to waft away. This site suggests a higher temperature: http://byo.com/stories/item/418-can...bstitute-chocolate-malt-for-brown-in-a-recipe

I have a question regarding a recipe i found in another thread. I have everything except the pale choc. Is this for color only or what could i add via the supermarket that could somewhat replace...only if needed. If it's a aesthetic thing than i'm fine omitting it but don't want to sacrifice flavor/feel. And i don't have the chance to get a hold of any grains due to shipping times and location to lbhs...so it's not an option to actually get the ingredient.

Thanks in advance!

10 lbs pale two row
1 lb quick oats
10.oz pale chocolate
8. oz special B
8. oz crystal 60

Mash for 60 @ 154

1/2 oz Chinook FWH
1.0 oz Cascade @15
1.0 oz Chinook @5
1.5 oz Chinook @ flameout with a 15-20 minute whirlpool.

Shoot for 40 IBU's and 5.4% abv

Ferment with US-05, 001, 1056 until done. Kind of like Arrogant bastard meets oatmeal brown.

You'll definitely see a big difference in the finished beer. Pale chocolate, especially at that level, will definitely provide flavor.

Pale Chocolate at 200L will contribute a nice nuttiness and color to the beer. If it was only an ounce or two I'd say you could get by without it, in this case you will miss/change the profile of the intended beer.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/pale-chocolate-malt-fawcett-1-lb/

If your going for a Nut Brown/Northern English Brown, I also suggest Kiln Coffee, it is wonderful in Brown ales.

Cheers

You're not going to replace pale chocolate malt with something at the grocery store.

It's a lighter roasted chocolate malt. I know Jamil Z. is a big fan of it in many of his recipes. I believe he likes it for its toasty/nutty character, and for color in some recipes. But in this recipe, it will contribute to flavor and color.

Hey thanks guys for the info...the roasting base malt sounds techy, i like it. but, i'm impatient and want to brew in a couple days so i got a hold of a buddy. he has some regular chocolate malt that i could use...so to ask you guys again, what would be a comparable replacement for "regular" into this recipe? If it were your brew, what would you do?

Do you know the color of his chocolate malt? In all likelihood, you can achieve a similar but not identical effect by using less of the plain chocolate, since it's darker. So, e.g., 8 oz instead of 10 oz. A good benchmark would be to use brewing software and equalize the amounts so that the color of the beer is the same. It won't be the same flavor, but it won't be dramatically off.

Back