pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarcha

Reaction score
I just bottled a pale ale from mr beer, I primed the beer with dextrose. The ale was clear, nice looking, no cloud what so ever . So I filled 1 clear bottle, and the beer looked great, well a couple of days later, I noticed white at the bottom of the bottle. I flip the bottle and the beer know looks cloudy. Is this normal maybe sugar, or could I have bottled to early. Thanks for any info :(

Two things...how well did you clean and sanitize your bottles and how careful were you with sanitation during bottling? And is this beer primed and now in the fridge?

This is normal, this is the yeast cells that have been bottle conditioning your beer settling out. Once you bottles have sat for a while this will form a cake of yeast that should allow you to decant your beer. This is why home brew is drunk from a glass and not the bottle else you get all the yeast. Even some commercial beers Sierra Nevada Pale for example is bottle conditioned, no this forum there is a list of bottle conditioned beers as you can harvest the yeast form them to make a clone of them.

Clem

Hi Mainebrew and Clementine

I sanitized my bottles, for 10 minutes, and all other items listed, spoons, funnel, bottle caps, etc, and counter tops, very clean, not sure of the yeast that came with the mr beer kit. Clementine thats great news, I hope, my bottles have been sitting in the closet for 3 days know with a week or more to go. Thankyou

Bottle conditioning takes more like 3 weeks total. Don't believe the MrBeer kit instructions, they (and other kit instructions) want you to finish the beer and buy another kit. But your beer will be better if you wait.

Cheers!

Thanks Fraizer, This is my first brew, Its hard to wait, and I should have, I tasted the beer before I bottled and tasted quite hopie, after 2 weeks. I sould have given it another week. I already purchased a starter kit, would like to see how my first brew comes out first, berfore I start my second. :mug:

If this is your first brew you will do what most people do and as soon as it is carbed you will start drinking it. I know I do, when I don't have any beer in my pipe line. What frazier is saying is that the beer will get clearer and better the longer you leave it in the bottle. When you drink it early you will have all sorts of flavors in the beer that mellow out or dissappear. Some of these flavors are caused by the byproducts of fermentation and the yeast will clean them up other flavors just need time to develop and then there is the yeast allowing it to drop completely from suspension mean the beer will be clearer and also without yeasty tastes (unless required by the style of the beer).

Clem

Latest posts

Back