Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ginuwineus said:
What's the difference between an Indian PA, Imperial PA, and basic Pale Ale???

Easy way to explain ipa is made with lots of hops for natural preservative and brewed with English malts.

Imperial ipa basically double the hops and maybe up the malt to bump abv and that's an imperial. Like a super ipa, if you don't like hops don't buy or make one.

A basic pale ale well that's broad. A pale ale is light in colour, noticeable hops both flavor and aroma.

American pale ale is like an ipa except in an apa you use American malts, see how insignificant naming really is.

Ozz pretty much hits that nail on the head.

Also worth knowing is the IBA. The "Indian Black Ale". Basically an IPA with some specialty malts that usually go into darker beers for roasted flavor. Some people see IBAs as an abomination, others enjoy it.

To each their own.

BBKing said:
Ozz pretty much hits that nail on the head.

Also worth knowing is the IBA. The "Indian Black Ale". Basically an IPA with some specialty malts that usually go into darker beers for roasted flavor. Some people see IBAs as an abomination, others enjoy it.

To each their own.

Some guys i know that live in Portland, OR corrected me pretty quick when I called it an IBA. It's a "Cascadian Ale".... Haha! So sensitive some brewers are.

Oh i know - I'm just pointing out that you all failed to correctly read, and subsequently answer, the OP

APA uses a half lb of crystal 40 or 60 and/or a lb of munich malt generally.

IPA uses ~1 lb of crystal 10 or 20.

Well,as for my take,I use the same malt recipe for my APA & IPA. Only the hop schedule changes. The APA gets 2oz of hops,the IPA gets 6oz. I l;ove that amber/orange color & light toasty malt flavor.

Well it needed clarifying? Sorry I'm not the most diplomatic in my manner of speech. When looking at the OP, his question is asking what differentiates IPA from an Imperial Pale Ale, and a regular pale ale. Which, as I read it, is a question with a bit more substance than IPA/IIPA/PA since they are all styles defined by the BJCP, and easily optainable as C-Rider pointed out. And as yooper said, imperial pale ale is not a recognized style, so maybe that's why he was asking HBT what makes it different, since information on imperial pale ale isn't so readily available?

But who knows, maybe he meant to say IIPA, in which case I read a little bit too into it.

To everyone: the following post is sarcastic and unnecessary, and i apologize in advance.

He was asking about the Imperial Pale Ale not the IIPA....

He was asking about the Imperial PA, not the Imperial Pale Ale.

I know that's not an actual style, but I'm just pointing out that you failed to correctly read, and subsequently answer, the OP

Really y'all. I'm sorry for that. I tried resisting for the past hour, but in the end, the smartass in me won out. Again, I apologize.

:D Been there,done that. Open mouth wider,insert other foot. It happens,no sweat. But I always thought an Imperial used more malt with a bit more hops that the regular one to maintain balance?

Oh i know - I'm just pointing out that you all failed to correctly read, and subsequently answer, the OP

Really?

APA uses a half lb of crystal 40 or 60 and/or a lb of munich malt generally.

IPA uses ~1 lb of crystal 10 or 20.

Yep... Although in my IPA's I use alot of restraint in my caramel malt. Maybe .25# of 10-20L and some carapils. Just enough caramel malt flavor to stand up behind the hops.

Well,as for my take,I use the same malt recipe for my APA & IPA. Only the hop schedule changes. The APA gets 2oz of hops,the IPA gets 6oz. I l;ove that amber/orange color & light toasty malt flavor.

I've done the same thing, but I've found I prefer an IPA with very little caramel malt flavor, whereas I like my American pales to have a bit more in the caramel malt to better balance the hop bitterness. I also like my IPA's to have a nice kick in the teeth, both from hops and a slightly higher abv. So I tend to use more base malt to increase gravity and less and lighter lovibond caramel malt to allow the late hops to shine. Just my $.02 on the differences in my APA's and IPA's.

Huh,I was thinking the opposite. I was thinking of adding one more pound of plain light DME to my IPA to give it a little more backbone.?...it does have 6oz of hops in it. Compared to only 2oz in the APA.

It really depends on your taste and your goals for that beer. I have some IPA recipes with NO crystal at all, while some have 12%! (To be fair, only one has that much crystal, and I mash low and use a well attenuating yeast and a TON of hops).

It's a matter of balance, taste, and technique. Sometimes an IPA with a pound of corn sugar instead of a pound of extract will end up with a nice "clean" crisp finish that is a bit dry. That is what makes an IPA so quaffable- even with a relatively high ABV, the fairly thin body and dry finish don't make it cloying.

When you look at the recipe as a whole, and look at the IBU/SG ratio, you can decide if you want more of a malt presence or to replace some of the malt with sugar. You do want enough of a malt backbone to support all the hops, but still have it quaffable!

unionrdr said:
Huh,I was thinking the opposite. I was thinking of adding one more pound of plain light DME to my IPA to give it a little more backbone.?...it does have 6oz of hops in it. Compared to only 2oz in the APA.

I like minimal caramel in my pales, more in my ipas, and minimal in my imperial ipas. I don't exactly know why.

Well,both APA & IPA are very drinkable as is. Maybe I'm just over thinking things again?... I do like the APA as is,though. But the malt presence on the IPA is the same light,toasty/caramel thing. It does hit you at the front & back. Maybe it's good as is for the style?

Back