Pale Ale thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
Trying to nail a house pale ale recipe of my own.

I have brewed a similar beer to this but with 2-row instead of the Maris otter and no crystal. It was good but still lacked the maltiness I wanted.

Any thoughts on this recipe pls...

9lb Maris Otter
1lb white wheat
8oz crystal 60
8oz victory

0.5 oz magnum @60
0.5oz each of centennial and cascade @15
1oz each of centennial and cascade @5
0.5oz each dry hop for 5 days.

Safe ale us-05

Would a different yeast create a more malty profile too?

Yes. You could try more of an English ale yeast and see what you think. Switching to MO with a touch of crystal very well might give you what you want, however. Can also experiment with 2row/MO and a pound or so of Munich added too. Lots of different things to try.

If it were me I would consdider swapping out the Victory for Vienna or Munich. Victory is more nutty/biscuity where the others might give you a more malty background.

Thanks for the tips. I've got plenty of Munich and Vienna so I'll try that. Is 8oz of c60 enough or would a pound be better?

I think 8oz is a good place to start. That's what, about 5% of your grain bill? Pretty typical. I'm really not the right guy to give out malty pale advice though, lol.

Sub Munich for the Victory and use a lower attenuating yeast (like S04) and you'll have everything you want.

I did a pale ale over Christmas with 2 row and a pound of oats. Used Danstsr Windser and it turned out fairly full bodied and malty. I think I mashed high too.

I like the idea of switching your yeast American Ale II 1272 is a nice strain that leans more toward the malt side then Us 05

ESB 1968 is a malt forward yeast, Irish ale 1084 is also a malt forward yeast. Mash at 154* and ferment at 62* until finished. Raise temp to 70* for 4 or 5 days for a complete D-rest just in case...

Back