Pale Ale Smash critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewskie

Reaction score
Thoughts? I'm doing this on a quick turn around for an easy drinker for a BBQ.

5 gallon batch
60 minute
Mash 150 for an hour
Sparge 170

9 pounds Maris Otter

0.5 oz citra at 60 (24 ibu)
1 oz citra at 10 (18 ibu)
2.5 oz citra at flameout

Whirfloc at 15
Yeast nutrient at 15

White Labs Super Yeast

Looking for something light that has a decent bitterness and fruity flavors and aromas. Suggestions for different hops/yeasts are welcome. Might need to up the amount of MO? Thoughts?

I just tapped a keg of a Mosaic cheater SMASH pale ale with a similar hop profile.

9LB Maris Otter mashed at 153f

.25 Warrior 60m (15 IBU)

.5 Mosaic 15m (11 IBU)

1oz Mosaic 5m (8 IBU)

1oz Mosaic 0m

1oz Mosaic dry hop

It's a great session beer now without heavy bitterness and the perfect amount of juiciness to be interesting.

I think the hop schedule you've got planned will work well.

Id go with wyeast 1272 american ale 2 if you ferment on the cold side you get citusy esters and if you go warmer you get more tropical. Its become one of my favorite yeast and add a few oz of dh maby 3 even

Id go with wyeast 1272 american ale 2 if you ferment on the cold side you get citusy esters and if you go warmer you get more tropical. Its become one of my favorite yeast and add a few oz of dh maby 3 even

Thanks for the tip, was looking for a new yeast to try, will be experimenting with this yeast for the next few brews.

I just tapped a keg of a Mosaic cheater SMASH pale ale with a similar hop profile.

9LB Maris Otter mashed at 153f

.25 Warrior 60m (15 IBU)

.5 Mosaic 15m (11 IBU)

1oz Mosaic 5m (8 IBU)

1oz Mosaic 0m

1oz Mosaic dry hop

It's a great session beer now without heavy bitterness and the perfect amount of juiciness to be interesting.

I think the hop schedule you've got planned will work well.

This is great info. Thanks much.

Thanks. I think I'll do this. Super Yeast is great, but really neutral.

This is great info. Thanks much.

Brewed it on 3/26 and had it kegged and carbed by 4/7. Definitely a 2 week grain to glass capable brew. Brewed mine with US-05 so it's slow to clear, but Nottingham yeast or using gelatin to clear would speed it up.

Marris Otter is over modified, low protein malt, very suitable for distillation. The Kolbach is usually 45 and above and the protein level as low as 8%. What that means is that the malt's enzymatic richness is poor due to being high modified. However, the protein percentage of Marris Otter is low which means that there is a lot of sugar bound within the starch. Less protein, more sugar. Usually, high modification and high protein level go together in malt, six row is an example. With six row the enzymatic richness matches the high protein, low sugar content. The enzymes rapidly release the small amount of sugar from the starch and when corn or rice are added there are plenty of enzymes left over to release the sugar from the adjunct.
The reason why home brewers have been taught that single infusion method works is due to the high modified, enzyme poor malt which many have been led to believe is great malt for producing Ale and lager. A single temperature works because only one enzyme is strong enough to do the work. The enzyme is Alpha and Alpha releases non fermenting, sweet tasting sugar and sugar called glucose which is simple sugar. Yeast use Glucose as fuel. During primary fermentation yeast produces alcohol and CO2 from Glucose. However, to produce Ale a Beta rest is needed. The enzyme converts glucose into more complex types of sugar called maltose and malto-triose which can be considered non fermenting until an action takes place. During second fermentation yeast absorbs maltose and enzymes within the yeast convert the complex sugar back into glucose which becomes fuel, as well as the medium which creates natural carbonation during the aging phase. Skipping the conversion rest, a home brewer needs only one fermentation vessel. But not to worry, the malt was deficient in Beta and to utilize the rest would be fruitless.
Something else to consider. When the spent mash left over from single infusion is tossed out to the yard the birds eat something left in the spent grain. They are eating some of the money that was spent on the malt. The starch the birds are eating is called amylo-pectin, a complex starch. The starch is responsible for body in beer. The starch makes up most of the kernel and it is heat resistant starch. Temperature of 169F and above are required to burst the starch. After the starch is in solution a thing called dextrinization occurs at 149F.

Back