Pale Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopkincr

Reaction score
Looking through some recipes and came upon EdWort's Haus Pale Ale (which I'm sure people here are familiar with). However, I do not have any cascade hops (which is the only hop he uses) and was wondering if I could substitute for something else... So, went to Brewer's Friend and worked this up (grain bill is the same, scaled to 3.5 gallon batch)

5.1 lb 2-Row
1.3 lb Vienna
0.32 lb Crystal 10L

Now for the hops that I have on hand:

0.25 oz. Columbus (AA, 15) 60 min boil
0.25 oz. Columbus (AA, 15) 30 min boil
0.35 oz. Centennial (AA, 10) 5 min boil

DanStar Nottingham Yeast.

Calculated:
O.G. 1.049
F.G. 1.011
ABV: 4.93%
IBU: 47.2
SRM (morey): 4.5

I am not great at knowing the different characteristics of different hops, but wanted to keep in the "C" area. I also have some Simcoe (0.35 oz) if that would work.

I tend to think of Columbus as a bittering hop, rather than a flavor hop, and would use the Simcoe at 30 min. instead. There are plenty of others, however, who love it as a flavor hop.

For an OG of 1049, this is way hoppy, especially for an APA. Which might be exactly what you're looking for. For an APA at this OG, I'd shoot for closer to 35-40 IBU (Ed Wort's recipe is for 39 IBU).

Looks good. Post your result.

.35oz of Centennial is the only late addition? Doesn't sound like nearly enough for an APA. I'd keep the bittering addition low, but up the late additions a LOT! And would also add a dry hop. Other than the 40+ IBUs, I don't see how this is an APA.

.35oz of Centennial is the only late addition? Doesn't sound like nearly enough for an APA. I'd keep the bittering addition low, but up the late additions a LOT! And would also add a dry hop. Other than the 40+ IBUs, I don't see how this is an APA.

+1

I also recommend shifting more towards late additions, and more towards the Centennial. I've never tried to brew with Columbus as a flavor hop, but from drinking stuff with it, I think it gives more of a resinous flavor than Cascade. Centennial would be a better substitute.

+1

I also recommend shifting more towards late additions, and more towards the Centennial. I've never tried to brew with Columbus as a flavor hop, but from drinking stuff with it, I think it gives more of a resinous flavor than Cascade. Centennial would be a better substitute.

Thanks to all of the replies. I was hoping to use the hops that I have in my freezer. I'm going to change my hop schedule to:

Columbus 0.2 oz at 60
Columbus 0.2 oz at 45 min
Centennial 0.35 oz @ 5 mins

Dry Hop with Simcoe 0.35 oz 10 days.

The original hops had IBU at ~47 with Brewers Friend, but Brewtoad had it at 41. The new recipe has IBU at 34 (Brewtoad).

May turn out horrible, but hey, never know till you try. Again, appreciate the feedback

Back