Pale Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwood

Reaction score
Please review my pale ale recipe and let me know what you think...I appreciate it.

Grain
8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 62.7 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 15.7 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 11.8 %
12.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.9 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)

Hops
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 38.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Galena [12.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash in 45 min @ 156F...then batch sparge @ 168F

Boil for 60 min...Hop schedule: Sorachi ace @ 60min, Galena @ 5 min

Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter

Pitch California Ale (WLP 001)

Stage 1 fermentation - 1 wk @ 67F
Stage 2 Fermentation - 10 days - 2 wks dry hopped with Amarillo Gold

Thanks!

I meant to start this in the Recipe thread, but couldn't bump it.

To me, the grain ratios seem a little off. I consider Vienna to be more of a specialty malt and group it as such. Having over 30% specialty seems high.

Personally, I only use primary for the regular ale that doesn't need to condition for a long time.

I'm still learning though so I am interested to see what others say.

I think you have a pretty good recipe.

As a matter of personal preference, I would probably drop the caramunich, the 1.5 lbs of C60 is sufficient caramel for a pale ale. You can also sub the C60 for Munich a la the Gordon Strong approach. Basically, a toasty malt flavor from the Munich versus a caramel and sweet flavor from the C60.

I would also use a pale ale malt, either US 2 row or something like English Marris Otter, depending on what you're going for. The pilsner malt will work just fine, but I would use the pale ale malt which is just slightly more bready and toasty versus the Pils which is more grainy in flavor. Either will malt type will work just fine though.

:mug:

I ran the recipe through brewsmith. You will be far outside of style--unless you are doing an IPA. Of course style is more a recommendation and it is your beer to make as you want, but with that mash temperature this is going to finish with a high gravity and darker than most pale ales.

I wonder about the ingredients. You have Crystal 60L and honey malt. Both will leave sweetness and I am not sure they will add complexity or just muddle into each other. Personally, I'd lose the Vienna and replace it with more pilsner malt. I'd also lose the Caramunich and let the pale and crystal do the work. I'd also mash around 148-150 instead. Of course, if you do this you should rework the hop schedule.

I ran the recipe through brewsmith. You will be far outside of style--unless you are doing an IPA. Of course style is more a recommendation and it is your beer to make as you want, but with that mash temperature this is going to finish with a high gravity and darker than most pale ales.

I wonder about the ingredients. You have Crystal 60L and honey malt. Both will leave sweetness and I am not sure they will add complexity or just muddle into each other. Personally, I'd lose the Vienna and replace it with more pilsner malt. I'd also lose the Caramunich and let the pale and crystal do the work. I'd also mash around 148-150 instead. Of course, if you do this you should rework the hop schedule.

Tell me more about why the hop schedule should be reworked with grain or mash temp changes.

Pale is meant to be a simple recipe. That recipe you have there will turn out too dark for the style. Drop the Caramunich, and the Honey, change the balance of base malt and caramel. Most of my pale ales consist of 85 % 2 row or Maris Otter, 10% 40 or 60 L, then maybe the balance of biscuit, victory, or vienna. Usually using Simcoe or citra at 60 min, cascade at 15 and at flame out, sometimes using Willamette and E Kent goldings instead of cascade. Then I use US-05 Dry yeast, rehydrated.

I think the amount of Vienna is fine personally, but I would agree that the amount of crystal/cara malts is pretty high. I can also say from experience that 2-row is a little more desirable than pilsener particularly if you're going for that bready character. I have made really nice pale ales with pilsener, but as soon as I switched to 2-row but otherwise had the same recipe I was much happier.

Any reason for the choices for the hops, or just something you want to try?

No real reason for the chosen hops. I wanted to try something different than the three C's. I'm open to any suggestions.

thanks again for all the feedback.:mug:

Tell me more about why the hop schedule should be reworked with grain or mash temp changes.

One reason, is reworking the grain bill would alter the gravity during the boil. A lower gravity means higher hop utilization so you will have to reduce your hops considerably. Also, the point made before that pale ale should be simple is dead on. KISS is a perfect acronym for a pale ale which should highlight the malt and hops, not muddle them.

I would agree about keeping it simple, which is one reason I was wondering about the hops. Maybe just try two varieties instead of three? Or even all of one. I feel like you won't be able to tell what comes from what in the end. There are a bunch of good suggestions here though.

My original thought was to use only Sorachi Ace.

.75 oz for 60 min
.50 oz for 30 min
.50 oz at 0

Would you dry hop?

I agree on keeping it simple. I have my first APA in the fermenter now. I slightly altered a recipe from Ray Daniels and all signs are pointing to it being a great beer.

Amt Name Type %/IBU
22 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 93.8 %
1 lbs Caramel Vienne 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.1 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.1 %
3.00 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 19.9 IBUs
2.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)
2.50 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 13.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice
1.50 oz Cascade [7.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 3.3 IBUs

Mash @ 150F

WLP001

My original thought was to use only Sorachi Ace.

.75 oz for 60 min
.50 oz for 30 min
.50 oz at 0

Would you dry hop?

Do you love Sorachi Ace? I don't, and I know it's personal taste but it's very "lemony".

If you are going to use the hops, I'd recommend changing up the additions a bit. The 30 minute hops contribute to bitterness, but little in flavor in aroma, so most often a good hops schedule for a pale ale would be:

.5 oz for 60 minutes (or up to about 25 IBUs with this addition)
.5 oz for 15 minutes (up to an ounce for more hops flavor)
.5 oz 5 minutes (up to an ounce for more hops aroma)

As far as the grainbill, I love Vienna and that should stay. You don't want to go over 10% crystal malt in a pale ale, and most especially not that much when you're using honey malt as well. Caramunich is also a crystal malt, so it looks like about 15% crystal malt or thereabouts- much more like an American amber that is on the sweet side.

If you want a pale ale, I'd do something more like this:
8 lbs US two-row (unless you really need to use up some pilsner malt).7 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

Shoot for an OG of 1.050 or so. IBUS should be around 35.

That's about it for a nice pale ale.

Mash at 152 or so- mashing at 156 is way too high and will make a "thick" beer, and with all of the crystal malt and honey malt it would be pretty cloyingly sweet.

I like sorachi ace, but don't have to use it. Another alternative is Nelson Sauvin...I had a beer the other night that was dry hopped with this and it has a real nice citrusy and fruity aroma. Has anybody used this hop for a pale ale before?

1. pick the honey malt or the crystal. not both.
2. more late hops. whatever you're going with doesn't really matter. use more hops.

Please review my pale ale recipe and let me know what you think...I appreciate it.

Grain
8 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 62.7 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 15.7 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 11.8 %
12.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.9 %
8.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)

Hops
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 38.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Galena [12.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash in 45 min @ 156F...then batch sparge @ 168F

Boil for 60 min...Hop schedule: Sorachi ace @ 60min, Galena @ 5 min

Cool wort to fermentation temperature
Transfer wort to fermenter

Pitch California Ale (WLP 001)

Stage 1 fermentation - 1 wk @ 67F
Stage 2 Fermentation - 10 days - 2 wks dry hopped with Amarillo Gold

Thanks!

I meant to start this in the Recipe thread, but couldn't bump it.

I would use pale ale malt or 2 row instead of pilsen malt as the flavor would be better. I would drop the crystal 60 down to .75 lbs. as it has a roasty flavor when used in large amounts. I would mash for the full 60 minutes to allow for better conversion.
I would also move some of the sorachi ace to the 20 minute section of the boil to drop the IBU a bit and give it a nice lemony flavor.
But, that's me...and this is home brewing. Piss on the style guidelines and brew what you want.:rockin:

Latest posts

Back