Pale Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarBrau

Reaction score
Hello,
I've been working on a Pale Ale recipe and would like some feedback. It's extract:

OG: 1.051
IBU: 35.3

6 lbs Maris Otter LME
1 lb light DME (to boost gravity)
.75 oz amarillo - 60 min
.5 oz each amarillo and citra - 15 min
.5 oz each amarillo and citra - 5 min
.25 oz amarillo and .5 oz citra - flameout

Thoughts?

That sounds awfully tasty to me. I just bottled an all-Amarillo pale ale that I can't wait to start drinking. Let us know how it turns out.

Sounds good! I'd personally load up the flameout additions, but I really like the aromatics to shine through.

I did something very similar with Centennial hops. It was delicious, and didn't last long. I used 3.3 lb cans of Maris Otter lme. So, I just had 6.6 pounds of lme. All told I had .5 oz for bittering, 2.5 oz late additions, 1 oz dry hop. It was similar to Deschutes Mirror Pond Pale Ale.

Thanks for the votes of confidence, everyone! I might add a little to the late additions.

Planning on using us-05, but still not 100% on that. May alternatively use s-04 or Wyeast 1272 (american ale II)

I made a pale very recently that was very similar to this.

It turned out very well.

Only thing i would suggest is possibly dry hopping this with some amarillo/citra if you have hops available. It really adds that citrus/tropical nose to the beer that makes it killer!

Post how it goes :)

Looks really good! Similar to what others have said, I'd toss another ounce of each in at flame out, and dry hop with at least another ounce of each. That's my preference of course, yours may be different. I like em hoppy! Any of those yeasts mentioned would work well, but if you use the S 04, make sure you don't ferment at a higher temp than the mid 60's or it can get pretty estery

An update: finally brewed this yesterday. The alpha acids on the hops were significantly higher than I estimated for the recipe, so there was some adjustment. Here's what I brewed:

6 lbs Maris Otter LME
1 lb light DME
.5 oz amarillo @60
.5 oz amarillo and .5 oz citra @15
.5 oz amarillo and .5 oz citra @5
.75 oz amarillo and .5 oz citra @flameout
.75 oz amarillo and .5 oz citra @ dry hop 5 days
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II
Ferment @ 64 F

OG 1.050
IBU: 37

Can't comment on the wort because I always think it smells like a wet dog (regardless of type), but boy does citra smell amazing! I'll update in a few weeks after bottling.

I cracked the first one this past weekend. Aroma was fruity and tropical, somewhat light. It has a nice bitterness that doesn't linger. The maris otter give a nice nutty maltiness. It's extremely refreshing - definitely a sessionable pale ale. If I would change one thing, I would have added more flame out and dry hop additions.

Nice. I just tapped my maris otter SMaTH (two hops) with very similar specs and schedule to yours. I went with simcoe/amarillo though and did dry hop also. Still needs a little carb but very yummy. I have to do these single malt MO beers more often.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back