Pale ale priming amount: 3.8 ounces?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattyC

Reaction score
So I tried to get a little more precise when carbonating the last pale ale I brewed, but I'm wondering if I under-carbed it a bit. I used the BeerSmith recommendations -- on the lower end of the spectrum for pale ales -- of 2.3 volumes of CO2, which came out to about 3.8 ounces of corn sugar. Think that'll be enough? How much sugar do you all use when priming your standard house pale ales?

:mug:

I have always used 5 oz of corn sugar per 5 gallons and have never had any carb issues. That covers OG's from 1.05 to 1.08.

I have always used 5 oz of corn sugar per 5 gallons and have never had any carb issues. That covers OG's from 1.05 to 1.08.

I usually use that amount, or at least 4 oz. But now that I think about it, I probably only bottled about 4.5 to 4.75 gallons after trub loss, so I'm hoping the 3.8 oz. will work fine.

Back