Pale ale is too pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nichjake

Reaction score
We've been having problems with this beer since we kegged and chilled it in early May. First, about a week after kegging, it was way over carbed, pouring nothing but foam. It continued to be over carbed and acquired a buttery flavor. Then the butter got worse and the fizz started backing off. We let it sit for a couple months, pretending it didn't exist and when we tried it mid July it had turned itself around and poured perfectly and tasted light but good. The butter flavor was almost gone. Now, two weeks later all flavor is gone (seriously, coors light has more flavor) and has gotten very very pale. It was about a 5 on the srm scale, now is barely a 1.

Any ideas as to what might have happened? We've only been brewing 2 years but this is the first time I've seen a beer change so much. I have a crazy theory but I don't know if it's even possible for American ale yeast to keep going at 38 degrees.

Maybe it froze to the point where it was just barely frozen and when you were pouring beers it was leavin behind the frozen stuff and serving the non frozen stuff leavin behind a lighter colored beer? That could also explain the foam issues...

This is PURE speculation tho :)

Sent from myPhone

I'm thinking an s. Diastaticus infection. A wild yeast that will ferment most other non-fermentables and render a beer nearly colorless and flavorless. I've only read about it and have not experienced it first hand. Anyone else have any thoughts or have experienced this 1st hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Weird. I've never heard of that kind of infection. OP, can you degas a sample and take a gravity reading? If it's S. Diastaticus it should be below 1.000 I would think, no? I'm just guessing, based on the prior post about it fermenting everything and leaving a clear liquid behind, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've never encountered this kind of thing. Interested to see what you find out.

Gravity read 1.002 after making the beer go flat. This wild yeast might be a strong contender. Thank you for the ideas, I'm going to do some research about it and see if everything else fits.

After some research I don't think it's S. Diastaticus. What I read suggests that S. Diastaticus makes beer taste medicinal and dry, neither are present in this beer. It tastes like carbonated water but with a tiny tiny hint of something but it's too faint to pin down. It also doesn't taste/feel like there is any alcohol in it but with the gravity reading it should be around 5%.

Wow. I never thought of that but makes perfect sense.

I get the impression you might be speaking from experience.

More from experience from my teenage years. My son is 12 so I'm starting to worry about stuff like that but so far I've been lucky in that he's much less a trouble maker than I was.

More from experience from my teenage years. My son is 12 so I'm starting to worry about stuff like that but so far I've been lucky in that he's much less a trouble maker than I was.

Too funny, I have an almost 16 year old son and I've been going through exactly the same thing over the last couple years. Good luck in the coming years! Hopefully you find, like I have, that he's not quite as creative as his old man was back in the day. ;)

That's really funny. I have a 2.5 year old daughter. I already have locks on my kegerator. I feel sorry for her future boyfriends. Wait....no I don't.

That's really funny. I have a 2.5 year old daughter. I already have locks on my kegerator. I feel sorry for her future boyfriends. Wait....no I don't.

I have a three year old boy. I once caught him up on a stool pouring a beer from my kegerator. Luckily I got to him fast and he only over poured by about a pint(Rest In Peace). Never tried again tho. I hope I don't need the locks in the future.

Are there any more leads on this? I've read quite a few posts in the last few days, but this one is the most interesting by far.

Too funny, I have an almost 16 year old son and I've been going through exactly the same thing over the last couple years. Good luck in the coming years! Hopefully you find, like I have, that he's not quite as creative as his old man was back in the day. ;)

Or maybe he is far more creative than you ever were and he is pulling the wool over your eyes?!?!

Ha now I bet I gots you scared ;)

Sent from myPhone

Or maybe he is far more creative than you ever were and he is pulling the wool over your eyes?!?!

Ha now I bet I gots you scared ;)

Sent from myPhone

That would be a charade years in the making... If he pulled it off, he deserves to get away with it! :D

No kids in the house. I'm still puzzled as to what happened. Tonight we're going to dump the keg, maybe we'll get a clue from what is our isn't inside.

I have a three year old boy. I once caught him up on a stool pouring a beer from my kegerator. Luckily I got to him fast and he only over poured by about a pint(Rest In Peace). Never tried again tho. I hope I don't need the locks in the future.

Watzee:
Your Einstein quote is one of the more priceless ones:

"I know not with what weapons WW3 will be fought, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones"

His name should be attached so we remember the source.

H.W.

Watzee:
Your Einstein quote is one of the more priceless ones:

"I know not with what weapons WW3 will be fought, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones"

His name should be attached so we remember the source.

H.W.

You are right Owly. Noted and remedied.

Back