Pale Ale Input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBuuck

Reaction score
With MLB spring training coming up, I was considering doing a Pale Ale Series, one called the Cactus League, one the Grapefruit League. I'd like each to have its own hop character, the cactus being more piney and the grapefruit being a tropical hop. I was hoping somebody could point me toward a recipe for a simple pale ale that would work for this project! I am an extract guy still, but could do a partial if necessary...

Another thought I had was to make one batch and simply split them to dryhop (I have a 3 gallon carboy I rarely use).

For grapefruit apa I would probably use cascade and Amarillo it will give you a nice citrus flavor. Tangerines a little grapefruit.

For cactus -Maybe summit and chinook

I have ferocious in both my fermentors right now. Upon taste testing, was like a grapefruit punch in the face! Can't wait for it to be done. Warrior @60, Amarillo and Simcoe 20minutes on down. dryhop with them also. I'm going to try and workout a similar pale ale with a much smaller alcohol content in the future. Let me know what you come up with or I'll do the same. Not sure how to guide you on the cactus one

Great idea! I like this! Are you planning to go south for spring training, or are you just getting in the spirit of the new baseball season?

I don't have my house IPA recipe handy, but a Pale Ale malt profile is pretty simple. You can definitely stick to extract if you like and have good results. I would just start with a standard pale malt DME/LME, find some steeping grains to suit your taste (a little carapils for head retention, your favorite caramel malt, etc), and then focus on hops. If I were you, I would really highlight the hops with some late additions and dry hopping, but you're probably already planning that.

The guys above have some good ideas on hops. Additionally, I like the Falconer's Flight 7C's hop for citrus notes. Here's a chart from BYO to help characterize/substitute hops.

Good luck! Go Braves! (sorry, had to add that!)

I play college baseball, so we'll be in Arizona for two weeks and get to catch a couple games during our off-days. Thanks for all the advice!

I did several batches using Galaxy and got a great grapefruit taste. I'm now switched over to Simcoe/Cascade/and another citrus hop and have also gotten the grapefruit taste. I've done Simcoe/Cascade/Falconer's Flight, and Simcoe/Cascade/Ahtanum

If you want a "tropical" hop (though not grapefruit) you should consider Citra. Some love it/swear by it & others dont care for it. I have only used once, but it was in a APA and had a really good tropical passion fruit kind of taste from it. Me and my friends liked it.

I'm still putting my recipe together... but I'm going to use Citra and Amarillo together for my pale ale.

A friend used this for a recent small two gallon batch.

3.2 pounds of 2 row malt
.2 pounds of Victory, Caramel 10 and Caramel 20
Cascade and Chinook hops about a quarter of an ounce each.

I can't wait for baseball season to start... even though I'm an Astros fan... hope springs eternal.

Back