pale ale hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this:

6 gallon batch

11 lb Pale Ale Malt
.75 lb 2-Row Caramel Malt 40L

8.0 g Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min

25.0 g Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
20.0 g Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
15.0 g Glacier (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min

20.0 g Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
25.0 g Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min
30.0 g Glacier (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 min

(for those non gram users, 1 oz = 28 g.....and start using grams... much more precise on a typical kitchen digital scale :rockin:)

Mash at 153 for 60 mins, ferment with WLP007 dry english ale.

OG 1.052, SRM 11.1, IBUs 40.

Think the late hops will be overwhelming? The blend of cascade, amarillo, and glacier sure smells awesome.... I'm looking for an American Pale that is teetering on the edge of IPA hop character.

Looks good to me. Without dry hops I think you'll be within the APA guidlines for hop character (if you actually care). I'm thinking of doing a pale with the late hop schedule of a DIPA sometime this winter...

Will the late hops be overwhelming?

Overwhelming ........ no,

Delicious ....... yes

I have a pound of glacier in my freezer that I haven't opened yet. I'm curious to use it but don't have it in the lineup for my few couple brews.

Well, that is nearly 5oz of hops added in the last 10 mins, seems like a lot for a pale ale. I'd love to hear how it turns out if you go ahead with it. Good luck!

More accurate? Hardly, that's a function of one's scale. Ditto for precision.

What grams do allow for is easier to use numbers for hop additions slightly higher or lower than .25oz increments. Ex: 30g = approx 1.07oz.

6 vs a half dozen IMHO.

Sounds very similar to a beer like Drakes 1500. Late hopped like a DIPA, but only 5.5%. Oh, and it just happens to be my favorite pale ale.

Sounds very similar to a beer like Drakes 1500. Late hopped like a DIPA, but only 5.5%. Oh, and it just happens to be my favorite pale ale.

That is actually the beer the idea was sparked by. It is pretty hard to get a really massive beer to be as hoppy/bitter as a pale ale because it has so much else going on.

Back