Pale ale help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simcoe26

Reaction score
I have Citra Amarillo cascade jarrylo El Dorado galaxy Columbus and warrior hops I want to make a pale ale around 5.5% what hop combo would you use

Yes.

:D

Seriously, bitter with some Columbus, then I'd add Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy, and more Columbus as late hops and/or dry-hops.

I'm drinking an all Cascade APA (5.5%, 38 IBU) right now that came out great. I also like the combination og Cascade and Amarillo. I did an IPA with that combo (plus Centennial for bittering), that is also really good. Maybe bitter with Warrior, and Cascade/Amarillo for flavor and aroma.

Use the Columbus or Warrior to bitter. Or just use the warrior to bitter. Then add only one hop (if you have enough) at flameout and a dry hop (same hop)

You have a few beers to make that way and each will be different

Yes.

:D

Seriously, bitter with some Columbus, then I'd add Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy, and more Columbus as late hops and/or dry-hops.

this sounds like a good road. I am looking for a fruity (tropical) pale ale but I am never apposed to dank either as long as the bitterness is not harsh.

Here is what I came up with.
10lb 2 row
1 lb white wheat malt
1 lb Munich
.25 crystal 40
.45 acididulated malt
.75 Oz warrior @60
.5oz Citra @ 5 min
.5 Oz Amarillo @ 5 min
1 Oz galaxy @ 0min
1 Oz galaxy dry hop
1 Oz Citra dry hop
West 1056 with 1 l starter.

Any thoughts

I have Citra Amarillo cascade jarrylo El Dorado galaxy Columbus and warrior hops I want to make a pale ale around 5.5% what hop combo would you use

I would bitter with the Warrior

Then do real late citra/amarillo additions at 10 and flame out.

Here is what I came up with.
10lb 2 row
1 lb white wheat malt
1 lb Munich
.25 crystal 40
.45 acididulated malt
.75 Oz warrior @60
.5oz Citra @ 5 min
.5 Oz Amarillo @ 5 min
1 Oz galaxy @ 0min
1 Oz galaxy dry hop
1 Oz Citra dry hop
West 1056 with 1 l starter.

Any thoughts

This looks like a good beer.
I Brew something very close for my house pale and its really good.

Brewing the recipe I posted on Tuesday with a starter that I started today (since Noone had any big objections) and if I have some Citra or galaxy I will up the dry hop

Brewed my recipe yesterday. Brew day went great. . . . Except before I pitched my starter I smelled it and it smelled kinda weird (tart maybe) had anyone ever had this. I pitched it and it took of quick and I don't smell it on the fermenting beer but I have got my self all worried.

More dry hops!

i did end up using more dry hops. 1oz galaxy 2 oz citra and .3oz amarillo(its what i had left. This beer is smelling amazing. Really fruity, tropical, hints of grapefruit. Ill keep everyone posted on how it turns out once carbed in about a week.

The balance of acid is better in cascade than in citra. The closer the Beta, Alpha number the finer the hop. Brewers focus on Alpha, the Beta number is written on the bag for a reason. Citra is more expensive due to advertising.

I will say citrus is delicious and if it was around forever like cascade it would be just as cheap as citra. IMO they provide try different flavors and you have to know to use them if all things are equal

Back