Pale Ale Fermenting around 75 - 77 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the primary in the coolest part of the house but last week (A/C going out) the house got up to 77 degrees. What are results from this?

You may have elevated fusel alcohol and/or ester production and the associated off-flavors. But these may not be all that noticeable, depending on the style. I've had beers ferment at above ideal temperature and they came out fine. Though obviously, you want to keep your temperatures lower, most likely your beer will be perfectly drinkable.

I haven't looked in to this, but if it hasn't been made already someone should make some sort of cooling plate that you put on a concrete floor, and through some sort of convection process you are able to draw and circulate the temperature from the ground, that is usually at an average of 60F

Bro - If you don't have controlled ferm temps, simply prepare yourself.

Get a tub large enough to hold your fermenter + water to surround it. When the temps go up - add ice etc.. to control ferm temps.

Fermenting your pale ales at the temp will make for a undesirable beer. With a modest amount of effort you can make your beer taste SO MUCH BETTER! It will undoubtedly be worth your time.

BootLeghillbilly32 said:
I have the primary in the coolest part of the house but last week (A/C going out) the house got up to 77 degrees. What are results from this?

It will really depend on when the temp jumped, if it was after active fermentation then it may not be much of an issue.

If it was very active you'll probably developed some off flavors but extended conditioning time may eliminate most o them.

If it was during active I would keep the beer on the yeast for a total of 4 weeks to give the yeast a chance to clean them up for you.

It will really depend on when the temp jumped, if it was after active fermentation then it may not be much of an issue.

If it was very active you'll probably developed some off flavors but extended conditioning time may eliminate most o them.

If it was during active I would keep the beer on the yeast for a total of 4 weeks to give the yeast a chance to clean them up for you.

I agree!

If you cannot keep the fermentor in a cool place you can increase the mass by placing the fermentor in a big bin of cold (relatively) water! That is an easy way to prevent temp spikes but not a good form of actual temp control!

Control your fermentation temps! Otherwise you're risking all the time and money you spent making your beer. It really sucks to have an abeertion and pour the beer you've been waiting to finish for weeks down the drain.

Thanks Darwin18! I just made a cool water bath at 70 degrees in one of my large ice chests. I ordered a temp control to use with a chest freezer I have. Soo! Glad!! For all of your responses!! Winter months here in Texas are easy to control temps. Finding out early that another fridge will be needed is a good thing!!

Back