Pale Ale Critique - what would you change, and why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristiismean

Reaction score
What would you change?
Please list why.

5 gallon, OG 1.054 FG 1.014 ABV 5.27% (estimated)
10 lbs Pilsen
10 oz munich (5L)
8 oz CaraMunich I

Yeast: Wyeast 1272 American Ale II @68 degrees

Hops:
.5 Denali at 60 minutes
1.5 oz Denali at 0 minutes
1 oz Azacca at 0 minutes

5 day:
2 oz Denali
1 oz Azacca

Thank you

I would actually brew it exactly as is. The recipe looks delicious to me. If anything, I would maybe double the flameout hops.

I'd lower the dry hop for an APA because I prefer them balanced (three ounces is pushing towards IPA hoppiness). But that's my tastes. I've never used Denali or Azacca so can't comment on the hop choice. The rest looks great.

I wouldn't change a thing, just because it's just a beer which will end up good. Although, maybe use a cheaper high AA hop at 60, just to conserve some wallet.

Thank you all, If it turns out really good I may make an IPA version, just turn everything up. I was debating on the dry hopping, but per above will leave it for the first batch.

smelly.glove. I do normally use Apollo for my 60 minute, but decided to see if I can even tell a difference (I am sure I cannot).

Brewing it Friday!

I would actually brew it exactly as is. The recipe looks delicious to me. If anything, I would maybe double the flameout hops.
If I like the mesh/mix of the hops I am either going to bump up the hops and the grain (for around 8%) and might bring Galena hops into the mix. This recipe is the start of trying to reel myself in from using 1+ pounds of hops every brew.

I'd lower the dry hop for an APA because I prefer them balanced (three ounces is pushing towards IPA hoppiness). But that's my tastes. I've never used Denali or Azacca so can't comment on the hop choice. The rest looks great.

Azacca is a fantastic hop for that tropical fruit kind of profile. Like Galaxy in a lot of ways but without the dankness that can come with Galaxy. I think it will go great with Denali, in fact Azacca, Citra, Denali is the plan for my next NEIPA.

I can't remember who made it, but a while back I had an Azacca Pale Ale, and it was excellent.

:off:
trying to reel myself in from using 1+ pounds of hops every brew.

I consider myself lucky - I much prefer a yeast driven or balanced beer over a hop bomb. An oktoberfest or hefeweizen, for example, costs me about half as much to make as an IPA! I give away more than half of what I brew - I'd go broke if it was all IPAs.

Azacca is a fantastic hop for that tropical fruit kind of profile. Like Galaxy in a lot of ways but without the dankness that can come with Galaxy. I think it will go great with Denali, in fact Azacca, Citra, Denali is the plan for my next NEIPA.

I can't remember who made it, but a while back I had an Azacca Pale Ale, and it was excellent.

Sounds nice. I might give that combo a try for my next APA (if I can get hold of them).

:off:

I consider myself lucky - I much prefer a yeast driven or balanced beer over a hop bomb. An oktoberfest or hefeweizen, for example, costs me about half as much to make as an IPA! I give away more than half of what I brew - I'd go broke if it was all IPAs.
I'm with you. About 70% of what I brew is classic German styles.
And 9 days out of 10 I'd pick a balanced APA over an IPA.

Back