Pale Ale Bottle ported bucket as a Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KerryD

Reaction score
I've read where people are using them without an issue. My LHBS was adamant against it. They also have a few other strong feelings about some things that go against the general consensus... so, of course being a noob, I'm still a bit unsure. :eek:

So how about this question...

Has anybody ever had a problem using the 6.5 gal ported Pale Ale bucket as a primary?

Lots of folks do it without issue. The concern is the chance of nasties getting in or growing in the spigot because it tends to trap gunk inside. If you are very careful with cleaning and sanitizing, it shouldn't be a problem but I would always have a spray bottle of Star San handy while using it and always take it apart and clean it between use.

I have brewed for years with buckets ported with a spigot and I have never had an infected beer. I am very anal with my cleaning and sanitizing practices.

I like the fact that I do not need a blow off tube and racking is made simple.

Latest posts

Back