Palace Bitter [Papazian] Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberjackJohn

Reaction score
I recently bought TCJH by Papazian and am interested in the Palace Bitter recipe. I was just wondering, however, if using Briess DME rather than Munton's would affect the recipe by any noticeable amount. I have heard that when brewing a beer, you should try to use the ingredients that are made in that part of the world, but I wasn't sure if this was just for authenticity or because the flavor really mattered. I was also wondering what degree of crystal malt to use, such as 10L or 20L et cetera as the recipe does not specify. Here is the recipe:

4.5lbs English Light DME
12oz Crystal malt
.5oz Fuggles 30 min
.75oz Kent Goldings 30 min
.25oz Fuggles 15 min
.75oz Kent Goldings 15 min
.5oz Kent Goldings 2 min

English style ale yeast (I shall use WLP-002)
*Edit* I decided to use Danstar Nottingham instead. Should be brewing this soon!

Thanks for your help!

Use the Muntons if you can get it because it is made from an English type base malt, instead of the Briess which is an American 2-row base. For crystal, I'd go somewhere in the 60L range. That's roughly the color of standard English crystal malt.

Yeah I thought the Munton's would be better, but I can get Briess at my LHBS. Oh well, I guess some times you just have to fork over the money for shipping to get the ingredients you need lol. Thanks for the quick and complete response!

Back