Paintball tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't played Painball in like 2 years, but I have my gun and tank sitting in the corner of my room. I have a 3000 psi HPA tank, could I just snap on a regulator, get a stone and aerate with that?

Alternatively, I have a 23" ceramic barrel for it, I could just set it to full auto and dry fire into the beer :p (That's a joke)

Doesn't paintball use CO2? You want to use oxygen to oxygenate.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You should know dry firing a gun is bad. ha.. I would be cautious about using the paintball tanks to aerate. I have seen the inside of some of them and then tend to get rusty due to bad compressor moisture scrubbers. There could be liquid inside the tank that could make it to your beer.

The HPA tank is carbon fiber wrapped aluminum... there is no chance of rust, and the compressed air is the same air you breathe.
I suppose you could use it for airation, but oxygen would be better.

The HPA tank is carbon fiber wrapped aluminum... there is no chance of rust, and the compressed air is the same air you breathe.
I suppose you could use it for airation, but oxygen would be better.

Yeah, I don't think a lot of people here play PB, but CO2 isn't the only gas used. OP probably has something like this - http://empirepaintball.com/paintball-tanks/empire-basics-carbon-fiber-68cu4500psi

My only concern would be if it has a built in reg, and if it's high pressure or low pressure. You'll want to get it to low pressure, and that can add cost. How are you planning on refilling, because odds are, you won't be getting pure oxygen as a source so you could have contaminates or potentially oil. A lot of fields/PB places use nitrogen, so don't get them confused.

Disposable O2 tanks from Home Depot are pretty cheap, and will last for many batches.
Yeah, but they require a special regulator... that and the hose, wand, and airstone are the expensive part.
Still, that would be my suggestion as well... It's what I went with.

Back