paintball cylinder mystery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty2

Reaction score
Had my 20oz paintball cylinder filled yesterday. Made another stop for about 45 minutes. Left the cylinder in the car. Was about 80-85 out, I left the windows open. When I got back to my car, I found the cylinder ice cold and covered in ice. I got home and attached a regulator and found it to be empty. I'm new to this whole thing, so, any help on what happened and/or what problems I have and how to address them would be appreciated. Thanks.

Either it was sitting directly in the sun or the valve failed releasing all of its pressure.
The ice was from rapid decompresion of the gas.

Your lucky you werent in the car when it went off!!!
Also make sure the hydrotest is good on it

It is brand new, 1st fill. I'll have it filled again. Do i need to worry about it possibly being damaged?

If the burst disk ruptured then it will need to be replaced. They cost about $4 and you can do it yourself (youtube for instructions) or have the paintball place do it. Beware, some shops will try and charge $15. It should have a stamp on it of what pressure it will burst such as 1.8K (1800 psi).

shelly_belly said:
If the burst disk ruptured then it will need to be replaced. They cost about $4 and you can do it yourself (youtube for instructions) or have the paintball place do it. Beware, some shops will try and charge $15. It should have a stamp on it of what pressure it will burst such as 1.8K (1800 psi).

This can only be determined by attempting to fill it?

I played paintball for years, when everyone was using co2. I agree with the above post, it was probably overfilled, which is very easy to do on a small tank. Left in a hot car the pressure increased and the rupture disk blew out. A rapid discharge of co2 will produce frost on the outside of the tank. If you unscrew the hex head screw on the side of the valve, you will find a hole in the rupture disk. The tank should be weighed empty, then weighed to get the correct charge of co2. We often overfilled tanks from our siphon fill tank, and would have to purge off the excess.

Paintball player and I agree burst disk popped. You left it in the hot car, the contents expanded, disk did what it was supposed to do. Mark it as a lesson learned and don't leave co2 tanks in the heat.

Latest posts

Back