Paint stripping bottles- no star san- pbw?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clone63

Reaction score
I've got over 50 nice clear bottles with the manufacturers paint on them (Stonewall Light if any Ontarians are familiar) that I'd like to remove.
I can't get star san here, and I'm not spending double to have it shipped. I have tried without success: Muriatic acid, bleach and CeramaBryte. I expected those to fail, but they sit otherwise unused.
Spray on oven cleaner faded the paint quite a bit, but I couldn't really get it to stay long enough to start removing anything... if it would. Plus it stinks.

So has anyone had luck with PBW in place of star san? It's 1 thing I can get, and I could at least use it as a cleaner, but if I bought actual paint stripper it would just sit around.. And isn't cheap.

I highly doubt PBW would strip painted bottles.

edit - maybe I'm wrong again....found this while searching....

Pbw, soak in a bucket for 2 days...every paint speck comes off without any scrubbing...

from this thread here...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/how-remove-paint-corona-bottles-317901/index2.html

Also read acetone may work....
Might try soaking them in dishwashing machine soap solution as well, that stuff can be caustic at strength as well and you may have it already....

Sounds like a good excuse to go buy and drink a couple of cases of beer whose bottles have labels!

PBW won't touch paint.

Ahhh, that's why I asked, I keep finding different things. I knew PBW worked differently than star san, but also knew it's fairly potent.
Never thought of dishwaching machine soap. I'll look into that one and update if anything comes to be.
Acetone is kind of a plan B, but feeling like 'A' pretty soon.

PS. Oxiclean did nothing too.

Your talking Paint, not labels. Star san won't do anything to take paint off.

Why not just leave the paint on?

51fT%2B9e6AAL.jpg

A 5:1 CLR mix will do the job but it takes a soak. re-use until it takes more than a couple days to work! i have a bucket i use outside for mine and fill the bottles with water so they stay submerged up to the silk screen label height!:mug:

Back