Paging Tusch... ding! ding! (blueberry question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snuffalupagus

Reaction score
yo, when you were creating your big blue... how long did it take for your blueberries in secondary to drop out?

or if you are not Tusch and are reading this - but have had +4 pounds of blueberries floating in a secondary, plz share your observations :D

My blueberries never dropped either. I just racked out from under them. Plenty of berry flavor and color, too. I think I had 6 lbs or close to it.

Ooooh, my ears are burning!

Mine took a very long time to drop out. Unfortunately they dropped during the 3 months I was out of the state last year, so I am not exactly sure how long it took. And yes I really left it on the fruit for months at a time. Keep in mind that when I made my blueberry/apple wine (strong ass cider) I actually ended up using blueberry additions in both primary and secondary, totally 9 lbs.

I say leave them until you like the color, and then start testing it for then you have enough flavor as well, regardless of whether or not the berries have dropped.

while not following your recipe exactly - Mine is very similar,

with 5# of berries and 4# brown sugar in primary, racked onto 4# in secondary - plus half a gallon of blueberry juice for headspace top up.

the color is... intense (looks darker than yours already, cannot shine a light through it at all...) still has quite a long way to go though. (havent tasted it since it was racked to secondary, so I've no idea what the juice and additional fruit have done to it.) it should be pretty spectacular when it's done.

Sounds a lot like mine. Post up some pics I'd love to hear how someone else's similar brew was going. I try a 12oz of mine every once in a while, just tried it again on sat. It really has mellowed a ton and the apple and blueberry flavors are coming back hardcore, despite me keeping it totally dry.

Oh and I couldn't see through mine at all until the end when it cleared up and I bulk aged it.

Back