Packaged Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighoss

Reaction score
So I found a local shop really close to me. Most of the sales at this shop are for wine making, but beer ingredients and hardware also. But the reason I'm posting this is because of the hops storage. There are pellet as well as whole leaf hops being store out on the shelf. I was curious if I should maybe suggest they store the hops in an refrigerated display unit? Or just not worry, and hope that the hops are always fresh? Because I plan on buying more at this shop now that I know they sell a decent amount of beer brewing items.

I would never buy hops that were not at least in a fridge. Most of us keep them in our freezers once we get them home, if not using them very soon (within a few days). Such as if you buy in bulk, toss them into the freezer and keep them sealed up TIGHT.

If the place is storing them out on the shelves inform them that they are ruining the hops this way. They will lose flavors MUCH faster than if they put them into a fridge. Just like you don't want to have yeast out on the shelf, either dried or liquid.

If they disagree with you, I wouldn't buy any ingredients from them, no matter how cheap they may be. Hardware should be ok, but nothing else.

Back