Pacific gems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to grow these? I am getting ready to place my crown order and am looking for something a little different. I currently have the following plants going: (1) Tettnanger, (1) Chinook, and (2) NB.
I am getting one more each of the Tettnanger and Chinook, along with a cascade. I just do not want to waste money on something that will not take.
I am in northern Vermont.

For a guy wanting to not spend money, why are you not looking at splitting the crowns that you already have, or taking off some rhizomes at the very least.

Then buy something else that you don't already have.

TeeJo

For a guy wanting to not spend money, why are you not looking at splitting the crowns that you already have, or taking off some rhizomes at the very least.

Then buy something else that you don't already have.

TeeJo

I don't mind spending money....I said I did not want to waste money if they will have trouble growing this far north.
I will be eventually taking off the rhizomes (none have shown yet) - I am just very cautious as it took three tries to get plants to take.

I would probably risk it, if I lived as far South as you do.

Heck, I'd try them here, if I could get some. We get a long season and lots of sun here in the BC Interior.

As far as the warnings go, I would run, not walk away from the variety if I were a commercial grower trying to make a living, but I am not, and can well enough afford to have a crop left on the bine if it got a late spring along with an early cool fall.

You can make your own micro-climate and cheat a little by so doing, by carefully choosing a south facing, sunny spot that is sheltered, if you can. That will get you some extra growth in the early part of the season, if you can meet the conditions.

TeeJo

Back