P.B.N.E.I.P.A thoughts please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
Pitch Black New England India Pale Ale.
I was thinking of creating a version of this because it's winter and I have a ton of hops in the freezer. I may scale the recipe back to 2 gallons just because it's an experimental batch. Any thoughts would be most welcome...

6lbs 2-row
6lbs Maris otter
1lb flaked oats
0.5 lbs golden naked oats
12oz Carafa 3

1oz Citra @ 5 mins
0.5oz Mosaic @ 5 mins
0.5 oz Galaxy @ 5 mins

1 oz Citra @ flameout
1oz Mosaic @ flameout
1oz Galaxy @ flameout

Same hop schedule for dry hopping @ 4 days and 8 days

Wyeast 1318 London ale iii.

I had shivers at the thought of a peanut butter IPA. But a black NE style IPA makes sense to me. Your grainbill looks good to me. Hot-side hops look slim to me, but I've never made a NE style, so "?".

Yeah I might up the late hops and maybe throw in some Simcoe too. I think I will scale this to 2gallon as I don't want to waste a ton of hops. I've read that the carafa 3 creates a smooth roastiness too.

Id up the hops a bit to fight of the roast you will get from the cara 3 ever think of using midnight wheat. Id add some simco , simco citra is my favorite combo

I'd also suggest the midnight wheat in place. Also, how about possibly cold steeping the midnight wheat versus mashing it? I've heard it pulls more color and leaves some of the roast even more so. 12oz seems like a lot to me for a small 2 gallon batch as well.

[QUOTE. 12oz seems like a lot to me for a small 2 gallon batch as well.[/QUOTE]

12# of base malt would be a lot for a 2g batch as well.

OP said I plan to scale this down.

Yeah the original recipe is for 5 gallons but because it's a bit of an experiment I might scale it back to 2 gallon. I can't get any midnight wheat this weekend so I'll stick with the carafa. I'll up the hops a touch and let know the outcome

Back