oxygen tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

+HopSpunge+

Reaction score
I got this oxygen tank for free. And want to no if I can take it and get it filled w/ oxygen at the gas supply place? like I do with my CO2 tanks. It's empty. Or are they a use once and throw away type deal?

I think it depends on the type of tank. The ones that attach to a medical type regulator are harder to get filled as most places wont do them and the places that do require a medical prescription. If it connects like a tank from the hardware store would I think you should have no issues.

As always, I reserve the right to be wrong. :)

Happy brewing!

Does it look like your co2 tank? then it should be fine to take to a gas supply. If it's small and red, then no (disposable), and if it's skinny/shiny with a small reg then most likely a medical unit that IrishBrewer pointed out. Post a pic so we can verify 100%.

I forgot to attach the picture

ForumRunner_20131106_145639.png

I hope I can get it filled. It seems like I am always running for the little red ones from home depot. The home depot ones run out quick.

If its full, it should last you about 350 batches. Hope that's enough for you.
Otherwise, watch craigslist for some (non-empty) tanks like that.

Hopefully you can get it filled. But keep on watching craigslist and you should be able to pick up filled bottles at a good price. That is what I did.

If that's all you're getting, you're doing it wrong. I get 30-40 from one tank.
It could have been a few more, but not over 10 batches for me. I have to admit, I haven't really kept count.

Here is my method: I use my chamber to drop the temperature of the wort to pitching temperature, and pitch. I crack open the valve for 15 to 30 seconds of low to moderate bubbling while swirling the stone/wand slowing around the carboy. I then plug and rock the carboy to further aerate the wort. Install airlock and return it to the chamber. Evidently, I am using triple or quadruple the amount of O2 than you are.

All of my fermentations have finished at expected FG, except one, using WLP007, that missed FG by a couple points.

Of course, I'm open for suggestions.

It could have been a few more, but not over 10 batches for me.

Here is my method: I use my chamber to drop the temperature of the wort to pitching temperature, and pitch. I crack open the valve for 15 to 30 seconds of low to moderate bubbling while swirling the stone/wand slowing around the carboy. I then plug and rock the carboy to further aerate the wort. Install airlock and return it to the chamber. Anything I should be doing differently?

If the bubbles are reaching the surface, you have it on too high.

If the bubbles are reaching the surface, you have it on too high.

I run it so there juuuust a slight movement on top of the wort. I might be on 9 or 10 of my little red canister, wondering when it's going to run out. Would love to have a refillable one as I don't think these red ones are recyclable. Ugh.

Latest posts

Back